Discuss Assessment of installation for EICR codes? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Deleted member 4632

Can I get everyone's opinion on the following please for EICR coding?

TN-C-S INSTALLATION

Ze = 0.26 Pfc 0.9kA

SUPPLY FUSE IS 60AMP 1361

16MM2 TAILS FROM CUT OUT TO METER

16MM2 TAILS FROM METER TO SWITCH FUSE

6MM2 MAIN EARTH (C2)

SWITCH FUSE IS 80 AMP 1361

16MM2 T+E BURIED IN WALL FROM SWITCH FUSE TO CONSUMER UNIT (C2)

WATER BOND IS 6MM2 GAS BOND IS 6MM2 (C3)

Why are you giving these the codes that you have?

Is 6mm too small for the earthing conductor? If it is then why is it too small, which requirement does it not satisfy?

Is the only thing wrong with the submain the fact that it is buried at less than 50mm deep etc? Is it in safe zones?

Is there any sign of thermal stress of the bonding?

Sorry, should have elaborated slightly!

6MM2 MAIN EARTH (C2) (543.1.1)

16MM2 T+E BURIED IN WALL FROM SWITCH FUSE TO CONSUMER UNIT (C2) (RCD PROTECTION REQUIRED) (INSTALLATION METHOD 100)

WATER BOND IS 6MM2 GAS BOND IS 6MM2, NO THERMAL DAMAGE (C3) (544.1.1)

That still doesn't explain why you think they should be those codes, I'm not necessarily agreeing or disagreeing with the codes, just trying to understand why you have given them at the moment.

For the 6mm main earth you quite reg 543.1.1 but by my calculation in accordance with (i) of that reg the minimum earthing conductor required is 4mm

Codes seem fine, maybe C2 on main bonding,Tncs requires a 10mm earth bond to gas & water.
Main earth conductor does not comply,should be 16mm .
T&E protection should be by rcd,probably a time delay for selectivety.
The 6mm would need to be replaced,if possible & noted on the Cert.

You need to quantify the reasons for your C2s. Yes main protective bonds are undersized and the 6.0 conductors in place probably predate current minimum sizes quoted in BS7671. Prior to these minimum sizes the Regulations stated you consult the supply authority where PME conditions apply so you will never know if the 6.0 were ever correct or not. The earthing conductor may be adequate for fault conditions but it is undersized to support current main protective bonding requirements, the same can be said of the 6.0 cpc of the submain cable if the main protective bonds are terminated at the consumer unit.

Westward says it all really,codes have been given,mainly undersized earthing conductors & inadequate earth protecation on T&E.
These can only be recommendations,to comply to latest standards.

Thanks all, I think I really need to go back to school on some of this instead of just assigning codes.

Is best practice guide 4 a good reference to keep in the van when carrying out EICR's?

Thanks all, I think I really need to go back to school on some of this instead of just assigning codes.

Is best practice guide 4 a good reference to keep in the van when carrying out EICR's?

I find guidance note 3 a good reference for when I’m inspecting and testing, but usually keep a copy of that too.

Reply to Assessment of installation for EICR codes? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net