Discuss Automation gate problems in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tino1888

Hi all,

I am a bit of a newbie on this so go easy :)

I have recently installed new open/reverse gate hydrolic motors on to residential gates in a property of flats. They have been working fine for two months now and using the old control equipment these where just like for like replacements.

The problem which is happening now is sometimes they are sticking closed, not opening and causing the residents to struggle to get there cars in & out.

The photocells seem ok athough ones glass is shattered a bit. When I go to repair or find the fault there seems to be none and I put them back on auto mode to be used through the keyswitches or frequency transmitters.

The factors are now onto me to fix the problem and I can't fathom out what can be wrong.

I know a fair bit about electrical supplys and control equipment as I am a qualified electrician with Hvac controls experience however this seems to be slightly above my knowledge.

Any feedback or help on this would be appreciated.

Glasgow East

Martin

Always found automatic swinging gate and sliding gate systems to be nothing but aggravation, especially heavily used systems. I now advise on the use of rise and fall barriers, which i've found to be far more reliable.

Its so frustrating, the instructions on the old pcb controllers are so complicated. Also i am scared to change the control board over to the new one incase i do more damage than good.

wish there was an engineer out there to put a cape on and come to the rescue.!!

I originally thought, that was an easy job, got a welder in quick , straight forward change over, now the photocells and everything are playing up.. :(

Sleepless nights :-(

^^^ as above, Electric gates are a PITA

Most of the swing gates I have seen rely on a force feedback principle rather than microswitches and the like, a first check would be to see if they are free to move without the arms/rams connected, stiff hinges can cause all manner of intermittant problems, especially when the ambient temperature is low, ie. they could be ok midday, but show up faulty early morning when it is colder.
This can cause the gates to go out of sequence, depending on type.
Another problem is if the arms/rams are not level, or if the hinge to arm geometry is incorrect, as it trys to push and pull on the hinge rather than open and close the gate.

The IR's can be extremely sensitive to obstructions, I once called out to a gate not closing, the cause ?, a spiders web but only when the weather was damp !

I avoid these at all costs these days, as you almost always end up doing multiple visits.

Last edited:
I would try temporarily linking out the photocells to prove they are not preventing operation, most gates iv repaired have had misaligned photocells. they can be linked out on the pcb

thanks for the response spark 68.

Its the most annoying job I have ever had to be involved with,

The new gates are free to move, motors level and free from obstruction. There almost seems to be a problem only in the morning, don't know if its the cold weather creeping in. I thought this and applied extra lubrication to the hinges on friday.

The type of motors are nupi 66, italian make as that what was on it previously.

Im looking into the instructions on the previous control board and gonna re-program the opening and closing tomorrow. I may also change the photocells as one hasnt got the wee glass cover on it.

another wee issue is there is a lot of vandalism around the area and some wee scallywags end up swinging off them i'd imaging

thanks nikmet, i was thinking i'll do that tomorrow.. Nothing seems to be marked up properly with these things.. Suppose im lucky enough to have the instructions to hand..

And in 'ENGLISH' which is always a bonus.

If you do link the photocells out, make sure you don't leave it like that, a little girl got killed not so long ago by the very same thing.
This is a mandatory safety feature.

I seen that there was a lot more regulations and safety features regarding gates and photocells recently.

This isnt the kind of work I usually do tae, just thought it would fairly straight forward to change.

Ive got other photo cells I can change to.

Reply to Automation gate problems in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net