Discuss Whom to blame and what to do ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

karamba

DIY
Reaction score
Hello, I need help as the situation seems pretty difficult here.
We decided to finish our basement, installed studs next to concrete foundation walls. Then we hired a licensed electrician to wire basement. He suggested to add a sub panel to the existing panel that was placed between two studs that were only there to hold the main panel. He drilled a hole in the stud installed a conduit and a sub panel immediately next to the main panel. Then he wired several circuits for outlets and lighting.
Then the sheetrock people came and covered everything, textured and painted,

Now we are trying to install the panel covers and they do not fit. I think the panel must be installed a bit proud with the studs to leave space for the sheetrock. But the panels are flush to the studs.
We called the electrician but he refuses to come. His only advice is to enlarge the opening for the panels so the frame holding the panel door would fit in. That I think would look pretty ugly and potentially unsafe as there would be holes below and above the panel where you could see wires and the concrete wall behind them. Besides he wants us to do it and I am too scared to touch it.

So what are our options ? Apparently this was an easy fix before the sheetrock but now is a big problem. I am not comfortable cutting the sheetrock as there is lot of wire under it. I think it must be done by someone who knows what he is doing, cut the sheetrock unwire and remove the sub panel, widen the hole to the main panel, put it back at proper position and path the wall.
How much are we looking at in Portland OR area for this job and who should pay for it? We, the electrician or ( unlikely ) the sheetrock people ?

We decided to finish our basement, installed studs next to concrete foundation walls. Then we hired a licensed electrician to wire basement. He suggested to add a sub panel to the existing panel that was placed between two studs that were only there to hold the main panel. He drilled a hole in the stud installed a conduit and a sub panel immediately next to the main panel. Then he wired several circuits for outlets and lighting.

Now we are trying to install the panel covers and they do not fit. I think the panel must be installed a bit proud with the studs to leave space for the sheetrock. But the panels are flush to the studs.
We called the electrician but he refuses to come. His only advice is to enlarge the opening for the panels so the frame holding the panel door would fit in. That I think would look pretty ugly and potentially unsafe as there would be holes below and above the panel where you could see wires and the concrete wall behind them. Besides he wants us to do it and I am too scared to touch it.

So what are our options ? Apparently this was an easy fix before the sheetrock but now is a big problem. I am not comfortable cutting the sheetrock as there is lot of wire under it. I think it must be done by someone who knows what he is doing, cut the sheetrock unwire and remove the sub panel, widen the hole to the main panel, put it back at proper position and path the wall.
How much are we looking at in Portland OR area for this job and who should pay for it? We, the electrician or ( unlikely ) the sheetrock people ?

It’s your electricians fault. He forgot to install the panel 5/8 of an inch sticking out to accommodate your sheet rock which also includes all boxes. He is at fault and needs to come back and do the job correctly. You can also turn him in to code enforcement.

Reply to Whom to blame and what to do ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net