Discuss Bathroom in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It winds me up this one. A while back the letting agent I do a fair bit of work for got another sparky in to look at a tripping problem. They got him in as I was away on holiday at the time. Despite being there for an issue with the sockets he decided to take out my bathroom plate switch and replace it with a pull cord. The plate switch was around 7ft from the bath in a big bathroom with 9ft high ceilings. I nearly rang the fella to ask him why the hell was he changing something and making me look bad, when it did not need changing at all.

I do not have an issue with normal switches in bathrooms whatsoever. Maybe a slight reluctance to fit metal accessories as Marvo says.
Come on Midwest where are you when we need you????

The only little tickle i've had in ages has been in damp conditions, it's obvious. A local developer round my way has built about 50 new houses over the last 3 years, all have wall switches in the bathrooms, kin stupid. Sometimes the regs can be a bit open to debate but in these circumstances its bloody obvious.

Come on Midwest where are you when we need you????

Not getting you SBO. Did something happen to Mid?

It is up to the individual spark whether they see fit to put a plate switch in a bathroom, with individual circumstances being taken into account. But changing things you aint there to do is another matter.

Most of the rest of the world do not seem to have much of a problem with this issue. Or maybe there are hundreds of deaths that are not reported.

Not getting you SBO. Did something happen to Mid?

It is up to the individual spark whether they see fit to put a plate switch in a bathroom, with individual circumstances being taken into account. But changing things you aint there to do is another matter.

Most of the rest of the world do not seem to have much of a problem with this issue. Or maybe there are hundreds of deaths that are not reported.
I wasn't sticking up for the sparky that you refer to, I and most guys would not criticise another to a customer or make adverse comments. I just think putting a switch plate in a bathroom is a bit daft, maybe just old habits as has been said, but surely safety is paramount? I have no idea if anyone has been killed in such circumstances, but I just wouldn't do it, personally. Some of the obscure things that get debated on here seem crazy when compared to something so obvious, to me.

Admittedly on the continent they tend to use the larger rocker switches, which may have an impact in terms of getting a tingle/tickle. Still don't get the Midwest bit though.

If a bathroom was 6x6ft with no window or extractor, I wholeheartedly agree. But a decent sized bathroom different matter in my view.

Reply to Bathroom in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net