Discuss Best way to improve sound to your TV? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have just fitted a TV in my gym. This will be to use spotify and youtube.

The sound quality isn't great and I want to improve it.

My main objective is to keep it VERY simple and easy to use. I just want to switch the TV on and whatever sound source is involved to instantly be on as well. This excludes a separately plugged in bluetooth speaker as i would need to switch that on as well (maybe I'm being picky).

I bought a JBL 2.0 soundbar which was awful. It was ridiculously quiet. This was a ÂŁ100 sound bar, are the more expensive ones worth it?

I have read that I could use 'active' or 'self powered' speakers. Again, I just want these to plug into the TV and play. Any recommendations?

Any other ideas?

Technology does gobble up your life!

Good quality soundbar will definitely improve your sound experience going for 2.1 would give bit more depth to it. But as you can imaging good stuff comes with price tag. I would start HERE to do some research. Also people at RicherSounds are very helpful if you have one locally.

Some units can be set to go into standby if they do not receive any audio signal from the TV for 10 minutes or so, which avoids the separate turning-on requirement. Some do it by default, especially if connected via the HDMI ARC port instead of analogue as the CEC interface can control the sound bar.

modern sets are terrible sound. the sound comes out the back, not the front, from 10mm mobile phone speakers, double the setting and the sound level only goes up by 10%. Rubbish. wish we still had the 26" Decca CRT TV with 2 8" speakers.

modern sets are terrible sound. the sound comes out the back, not the front, from 10mm mobile phone speakers, double the setting and the sound level only goes up by 10%. Rubbish. wish we still had the 26" Decca CRT TV with 2 8" speakers.

What you need to do is build a nice big teak case on the back of the LCD telly, and then fit some decent speakers in it. Plus then you can go back to the old days of putting a vase of flowers on it as well. Everyone's a winner.

By the way, if you see LG or Samsung do this, let me know so that I can sue them.

There must be a few of you out there that, like me, ran a TV and VCR repair business alongside the contracting, back in the day, when there was still money in it. All I've repaired i the last decade is two of my own flatscreens, and the repairs to them have simply been to replace the relevant module with a second hand one.
When I repaired the last one (a little 22"), I intended to try disconnecting the internal speakers and experiment with connecting to a decent pair of external speakers, but forgot until I'd boxed it all back up.
Has anyone tried this, and what was the results? I expect that the TV's output is biased towards bass to try to compensate for the puny internal speakers.

There must be a few of you out there that, like me, ran a TV and VCR repair business alongside the contracting, back in the day, when there was still money in it. All I've repaired i the last decade is two of my own flatscreens, and the repairs to them have simply been to replace the relevant module with a second hand one.
When I repaired the last one (a little 22"), I intended to try disconnecting the internal speakers and experiment with connecting to a decent pair of external speakers, but forgot until I'd boxed it all back up.
Has anyone tried this, and what was the results? I expect that the TV's output is biased towards bass to try to compensate for the puny internal speakers.

I normally connect a decent quality active subwoofer and 2 small satellite speakers and this gives excellent sound. I haven't heard a sound bar that has enough oomph as of yet.

I this directly in place of the TV's internal speakers, or via the TV's audio out? I have a self contained sub woofer assembly, including internal amp. and PSU, that came out of a scrap hot tub

I this directly in place of the TV's internal speakers, or via the TV's audio out? I have a self contained sub woofer assembly, including internal amp. and PSU, that came out of a scrap hot tub

Via the TV audio out sockets. My Sony tv can be set up so the audio output jacks volume varies with TV volume.

That's a DIY equivalent of a sound bar, then. I'm meaning the extreme low cost option of connecting external speakers directly in place of the internal ones. I realise that there's possible safety implications, although the 22" I mentioned actually runs off 12V from a wall wart PSU. I use the exact same model in my caravan.

That's a DIY equivalent of a sound bar, then. I'm meaning the extreme low cost option of connecting external speakers directly in place of the internal ones. I realise that there's possible safety implications, although the 22" I mentioned actually runs off 12V from a wall wart PSU. I use the exact same model in my caravan.

Ah, inside the case? There's not enough room or cabinet rigidity to get good sound from a speaker in a TV case.

No, I mean good quality speakers, of the right impedance, outside the TV case, connected by flex to the wires inside the TV that fed the internal speakers.

Sorry, I'm with you. I'd still go external amp or active speakers. It'll be a tiny amplifier IC in the TV geared up to drive the tiny speakers in it

If you want mucho cheapness then look at some of the PC speakers if your TV has a headphone socket. Advantage is single volume control for the lot and often really simple to use. But don't expect HiFi magic, though mostly they are better than built-in crap.

The external speakers/soundbar that power off really annoy me, just how hard would it be to power back on using the audio signal returning? Also had far too much trouble with stupid systems where you need two controls, or it forgets the correct input if power cycled, etc, etc.

If you want mucho cheapness then look at some of the PC speakers if your TV has a headphone socket. Advantage is single volume control for the lot and often really simple to use. But don't expect HiFi magic, though mostly they are better than built-in crap.

The external speakers/soundbar that power off really annoy me, just how hard would it be to power back on using the audio signal returning? Also had far too much trouble with stupid systems where you need two controls, or it forgets the correct input if power cycled, etc, etc.
I'm sure the TV will have a headphone socket (is that also called a 3.5mm jack?).

Is it then just as simple as plugging in the 3.5mm jack to the back of the TV? If for instance I buy this one 5.1 channel PC speakers - Cheap 5.1 channel PC speaker Deals | Currys - https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/5.1-channel-pc-speakers/computer-accessories/pc-speakers/318_3062_30081_xx_ba00011110-bv00311348/xx-criteria.html

how do all the other speakers get wired up if there is only one headphone socket? Does one of the speakers have the 3.5mm jack then the others plug in to each other? Never had a sound system before!

If these are PC speakers then I guessing they get there power from the TV and do not need to be plugged in?

Last edited:
I'm sure the TV will have a headphone socket (is that also called a 3.5mm jack?).

Is it then just as simple as plugging in the 3.5mm jack to the back of the TV? If for instance I buy this one 5.1 channel PC speakers - Cheap 5.1 channel PC speaker Deals | Currys - https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/5.1-channel-pc-speakers/computer-accessories/pc-speakers/318_3062_30081_xx_ba00011110-bv00311348/xx-criteria.html

how do all the other speakers get wired up if there is only one headphone socket? Does one of the speakers have the 3.5mm jack then the others plug in to each other? Never had a sound system before!

Exactly how mine is set up. There will be an audio in (analogue) on the subwoofer. and the speaker outputs will be on the sub also

Exactly how mine is set up. There will be an audio in (analogue) on the subwoofer. and the speaker outputs will be on the sub also
oo... this is now looking quite exciting!
So I literally just plug the sub into the TV, using the headphone socket, then all the other speakers plug into the sub?

Then... whenever you switch on the TV, the sound automatically just plays through them?

oo... this is now looking quite exciting!
So I literally just plug the sub into the TV, using the headphone socket, then all the other speakers plug into the sub?

Then... whenever you switch on the TV, the sound automatically just plays through them?

Yes, that's it.
You only get 2+1 sound obviously (stereo+sub) since you only have the stereo output of the TV. But get a reasonable quality sub and you will be very happy with the sound.

Reply to Best way to improve sound to your TV? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net