Discuss Best way to improve sound to your TV? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'm sure the TV will have a headphone socket (is that also called a 3.5mm jack?).

Is it then just as simple as plugging in the 3.5mm jack to the back of the TV? If for instance I buy this one 5.1 channel PC speakers - Cheap 5.1 channel PC speaker Deals | Currys - https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/5.1-channel-pc-speakers/computer-accessories/pc-speakers/318_3062_30081_xx_ba00011110-bv00311348/xx-criteria.html

how do all the other speakers get wired up if there is only one headphone socket? Does one of the speakers have the 3.5mm jack then the others plug in to each other? Never had a sound system before!

If these are PC speakers then I guessing they get there power from the TV and do not need to be plugged in?
All speakers will plug in to sub, from sub you will have few cables to PC to carry 5.1 signal, in your case you can only use 3.5 jack which will carry 2.0 signal to your sub and I assume this will be spread across all speakers as 2.0 and finally sub will need to be connected to wall socket.

Is it not better to buy dedicated good 2.0 or 2.1 system for Spotify/YouTube (stereo source) instead average 5.1 system which you won't even used it as 5.1?

All speakers will plug in to sub, from sub you will have few cables to PC to carry 5.1 signal, in your case you can only use 3.5 jack which will carry 2.0 signal to your sub and I assume this will be spread across all speakers as 2.0 and finally sub will need to be connected to wall socket.

Is it not better to buy dedicated good 2.0 or 2.1 system for Spotify/YouTube (stereo source) instead average 5.1 system which you won't even used it as 5.1?
It probably is, but because I have no idea what you just said, the former idea is still the best.
In the world of stereos and TV's I would say I'm approximately a 5 year old. i was going to say 10, then realised that would be silly.

It probably is, but because I have no idea what you just said, the former idea is still the best.
In the world of stereos and TV's I would say I'm approximately a 5 year old. i was going to say 10, then realised that would be silly.

Just ignore the rear outputs. It is not compulsory to use them.

The 2+1 means stereo (2) and a separate sub-woofer (1) while the 5+1 has 3 front (left/centre/right) and 2 rear speakers (L/R) for surround effects, plus the sub-woofer again for low bass (that is not perceived as directional).

For most things like music, etc, 2+1 is perfectly good.

I’m not so up on getting hifi quality from a tv…. Hifi is designed for music….
All I really need is a tv that doesn’t make talking very quiet and explosions very loud when watching tv.

I’m not so up on getting hifi quality from a tv…. Hifi is designed for music….
All I really need is a tv that doesn’t make talking very quiet and explosions very loud when watching tv.

I use mine to stream music to from my phone. Either stream from my network drive or from youtube. So need decent sound. Admittedly not strictly hifi, but very good.

A slight aside, so apologies... but I took a smart phone apart a couple of years ago (it was totally knackered anyway)... and was amazed to see that in the speaker section they'd used real wood ! In this modern era of advanced plastics, composites and carbon fibre etc. etc.. the best material is still wood !

@pc1966 explain basic differences of 2 channels vs multi channels system further to that all those system can be expanded to 7.1 or 9.1 giving more surround speakers, 7.2, 9.2 giving more low frequency speakers (subwoofer), and those systems can be expanded even more to 5.1.2 or 7.2.4. The third digit represents speakers that for best experience are installed overhead giving 3 dimensional sound effect.
You won't need any of that as your source will be stereo. To get most of the stereo signal you want stereo system. By connecting 5.1 speakers using 3.5 you will get anolog signal spread accros all speakers so you won't get true stereo experience.
For extra 75 quid you can get THIS (they are available in different colours too). You can connect them using optical cable (check with your TV but most of them have it) which will supply digital signal and your speaker will handle it. You will get much better quality sound and true stereo experience. Also they come with Bluetooth so you can wirelessly hook up your phone and play any song from it also they have USB for charging

Reply to Best way to improve sound to your TV? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net