Discuss black enamel conduit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

gaffer

-
Reaction score
Just out of interest really,do any of you guys ever use black enamel steel conduit any more?.Did loads in my apprenticeship in the mid eighties,but that was probably the last time I used it.

ah-YOUR RESPONSIBLE !! found loads on rewires, and have managed to get new cables down them, but half the time the installer has bent a nail to to fix them to the wall prior to plastering, denting the tubing and making pull throughs impossible.
On the plus side, one good pull, a shower of plaster and dust, and a lovely channel is looking at you. Having a laugh, but true ! loads of respect.

Think the gaffer is referring to the 20mm seamless stuff you get surface mounted indoors, think you may be thinking of the seamed stuff. maybe wrong but it just a guess:D

Last edited by a moderator:
UM, ERR, okay, can I have strawberry jam in my humble pie? No seriously as I said, utmost respect to those who did install, The seamed stuff at least gives us half a chance of getting a cable down it, there is basically no chance with the oval or capping we use nowadays.

thanks Gaffer, I will bring some over on my boat as i see you are offshore, I always have plenty on board as it helps with peoples sea sickness. (doesnt cure it, justs tastes better coming up).Ginger beer will get on shore.

Last job I can remember using black conduit on was in 1987 very memorable as there was 3 miles of it and a major arguement with manufacturer over the quality as the black enamel could be wiped off some of the tube because it wasn't properly degreased prior to enamelling

Did a lighting rewire in some school offices in B/E a couple of years ago,mainly because the existing was in B/E and it made sense to extend the existing to the new light/switch positions.I enjoy a bit of steel work,it was good experience for the apprentice,but we dont do much these days,i'ts all plastic.

Can remember following the team of sparks on one job,with a tin of black paint covering all the scratches,vice marks and running couplers.Did it for days it was so boring!

I have never used it. Only started out in 2001, but last week I went to the cef and found Mark in the back with a can of black enamel spray as a customer required a length :) [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

I used it in my apprenticeship A LOT (98-02)! Got told threading the ends would build me up! :eek: Didn't work, probably built more character than muscle! lol

Do not do nearly as much Stell conduit as i would like to! Most people will not pay for it to be installed due to labour costs. Last job was a couple of years ago, do not see much coming up either.

Hmm … drippy green cutting paste and sharp curly bits of swarf dropping into your boots. I’ve just been searching for a length to make myself a couple of loft ladder handrails … think I’ll have to visit the wholesaler - no one else seems to stock the stuff!

Hmm … drippy green cutting paste and sharp curly bits of swarf dropping into your boots. I’ve just been searching for a length to make myself a couple of loft ladder handrails … think I’ll have to visit the wholesaler - no one else seems to stock the stuff!

This thread is about 13 years old, but you're from South Yorkshire so it's ok :)

Reply to black enamel conduit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net