Discuss Board changes, customers and EIC's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening..I just wanted a bit of advice on the procedure to follow with regards to consumer unit changes, advice to customers and how to fill in an EIC. I have recently changed a consumer unit and I informed the customer beforehand that there may be faults on the system when the cables are checked. Low and behold when I checked the insulation resistance there was a cable down on a circuit. I have told the customer about it and told them I can investigate further, they then told me that they couldn't afford me doing remedial work and they would sort it out at a later date. How do I then fill out the EIC knowing there is a fault on the installation?

Should really have checked previously. Depending on your scheme provider, the test report may have a section for 'comments on existing installation'

What do you mean by "a cable down on a circuit"? By all means note it as a comment but it needs to be understood by anyone reading the cert.

so you could go to do a board change, do all your testing before you actually change the board, find the fault then to be told 'oh we can't afford to sort that out'. You have then spent two hours giving someone a free electrical check???

What was the IR reading?
I didn't want the emphasis of my post to be on the details of the test, I was hoping to get some advice on the correct procedure of board changes. (The IR reading was 7M ohms, which I know complies to regs, but leaving an installation like that doesn't leave me feeling comfortable). I have been asked to do another board change tomorrow and have been told 'there is a lot of dodgy wiring in the property'.

I didn't want the emphasis of my post to be on the details of the test, I was hoping to get some advice on the correct procedure of board changes. (The IR reading was 7M ohms, which I know complies to regs, but leaving an installation like that doesn't leave me feeling comfortable). I have been asked to do another board change tomorrow and have been told 'there is a lot of dodgy wiring in the property'.

Muppet. Nothing wrong with that. Complete EIC, do LABC notification and submit invoice. IF YOU ARE about to do another with "dodgy wiring" you are a FOOL. A visual when you visit to quote will tell you if you need to INSIST on a basic EICR. Should you be doing board changes>?????

Test before the change, point out any defects informing the customer of any faults you find if they wont pay charge the for your time doing the test and off you go

I bet a neon or appliance or lamp left in! You checked the loft? Why the hell are you asking how to fill in a EIC? How did you get Elecsa registered? Oh yeah they let any muppets in!
Thanks for the constructive criticism, are you one of those members that answers questions to try and look good in front of other members by insulting people just starting out?

Thanks for the constructive criticism, are you one of those members that answers questions to try and look good in front of other members by insulting people just starting out?

Not at all, read my posts I try to help out as many people as I can, I just get sick of silly questions like the rest of the lads on here. You have past the Elecsa assessment which mean you are working alone with a dangerous killer. You should know the simples.

So you don't know how to fill out an EIC? You don't know how to deal with clients, GOD help you when you do a board change and the RCD's won't hold and the customer refuses to pay more money. Get a CAVEAT on your quotes/estimates dam quick. This isn't about looking good, believe you me.

And if you are an Elecsa member - try calling their technical line - they don't bite, but you need to be offering your idea of a solution with your question to get the best out of them.

Reply to Board changes, customers and EIC's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net