Discuss British gas wanna be sparkys in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sedgy34

These people are going round the country i guess issuing danger notice stickers cause they dont know what they are doing but a warning sticker cover there arses
i had a db change when 16 edition was in on a tt system i installed a 100ma main rcd switch (time delay)on a split load board with a 30ma rcd (as you would have done before the 17th edition came out) tested fine certified it job done!!! 17th edition comes out customer got installation insured with BG they come out its not to 17 edition its dangerous blah blah blah so my customer calls me after 12 months or so angrily cause of BG,s actions so i pop over to see his report and my question was having read his report DID THIS GUY KNOW WHAT HE WAS LOOKING AT??? I CALLED HIS MANAGER TO MAKE COMPLAINT AND THE RESPONSE WAS I QUOTE"" IF THE ENGINEER HAS BEEN TO A PROPERTY AND NOTED THINGS ON HIS REPORT ITS CORRECT WHAT HES SAYING.
at that stage i was wishing i was in a cartoon so i could have popped out his phone and headbutted this idiot i couldnt pursue this matter as this was the guy who you have to complain to.
this guy was saying they need new db

THEY SHOULD BE ON WATCHDOG/ROGUETRADERS

Last edited by a moderator:
just proves the saying that a little knowledge is dangerous.

Guys I have been called out to 4 jobs all initiated by BG when the guy is testing the boiler he has ben given a LED indicated Zs meter that either says pass or fail ie green or red 3 jobs was that they just tested at a bad socket 1 job there was no main earth to the property so why are they doing it well BG is no longer a service company it is a sales driven animal and they put their guys under pressure to get their sales up whilst they ae meant to be doing essential maintenance some of their guys are ruthless as they have taken the sales job on with zeal because they are on a commission and they dont care who's granny they scare the life out of as all jobs highlighted are a a matter of life or death and all for the sake of sales. So now when I get a phone call I say well I am going to have to charge you for coming out as the customer with no earth got me out under a pretence to confirm what the actual ELI was for the DNO so no more I explain that I cannot be the guy who confirms BGs work as I cannot afford it plus I advise the owner to get BG to put their finding in writing as they may want to submit my callout to confirm they were wrong so you will probably find that a matter of life and death turns out to be a recommendation.

Forgot to add these guys are not sparks as I said if they get a red led thenits hit the alarm bells the funny thing is they have an electrical division running about and in edinburgh where I live they should be referring these jobs to them but me thinks they also have led meters instead of a Fluke or a Megger

so what makes them think that you can just condemn something just because it isn`t up to the current edition of BS7671?...i mean, the whole idea of PIRs/EICRs is to confirm the installation is still safe and fit for continued service....so if it was installed and complied with the 16th edition...whats the problem?....god help em if they went into some of the houses that we go in (renteds)....many of em are on the 15th complete with BS3036s...doesnt mean you condemn it though does it.......its laughable though if it was`t so sad.....

... but me thinks they also have led meters instead of a Fluke or a Megger

Just for information British Gas exclusively use Metrel test equipment and Makita power tools ... loads of regularly maintained and/or calibrated ex-BG stock (mainly MI3000 MFTs and seperates) turning up on Fleabay as they have upgraded to newer models.

I had a BG driven call out with customer having no Main earth.. TNS supply.

at the head every thing looked ok and happy! plug in tester no E connection...

Ring DNO who tell me british gas applied for a quote for PME 2 years ago..! WTF and asked me if customer went ahead??

ERM NO! because she has a connection just its gone bad your end....!! send a Engineer NOW please..!!!!

Nedl turned up and corrected it after consulting plans etc... (next door disconnected earth during extension 2 years ago) lol.....!!

Moral of story!! BG wanted to charge customer £376+Vat for a PME connection (Via Nedl) and even sent a quote to convert to TT for £289+Vat

MUPPETS!!!! i left with £35 quid and a happy customer

I had aBG driven call out with customer having no Main earth.. TNS supply.

at the head every thing looked ok and happy! plug in tester no E connection...

Ring DNO who tell me british gas applied for a quote for PME 2 years ago..! WTF and asked me if customer went ahead??

ERM NO! because she has a connection just its gone bad your end....!! send a Engineer NOW please..!!!!

Nedl turned up and corrected it after consulting plans etc... (next door disconnected earth during extension 2 years ago) lol.....!!

Moral of story!! BG wanted to charge customer £376+Vat for a PME connection (Via Nedland even sent a quote to convert to TT for £289+Vat

MUPPETS!!!! i left with £35 quid and a happy customer

Correct, They have a statutory obligation to maintain any earthing connection they have provided.... So did it go back as TN-S, or did they arbitrarily convert to PME??

BG sparkies, reminds me of something that happened a few years ago when BG started supplying electricity. They sent their meter changers out to a property that had economy 7. I get a call to say that the sockets and lights only work between 12-7am and the heating is on constantly. Yup, they had it wired in the wrong way round. Phoned BG to be told I must be wrong cos their guys were very experienced and I was just a dumb --- cable puller.

had quite a few old biddies phoning me over the years with BG scare tactics, bunch of numpties.

Reply to British gas wanna be sparkys in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net