Discuss BS7671-2015 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
what is the clauses under BS7671-2015 for this type (L2-P1 and L1-P1 at the same place)

Capture.PNG

The only issue is a perceived danger that you have 400v on the wall in front of you.

In reality, there is no problem.

Don't overlook that the OP appears to be in Singapore, where BS1363-type socket-outlets are used but the applicable regulations are based on, but not necessairly identical to, BS7671. Although, the OP does ask specifically about BS7671, and it will be interesting to know whether SS638 differs on this point.

I've heard this don't know if it's just considered good practice or if there a reg but never have two phases next to each other like this because of possible 400v
[automerge]1594843016[/automerge]
there's a copy floating around of The Electricians guide to the 16th with Singapore polytechnic Library stamped on it

A recent thread mentioned some of this. It used to be that you should not have socket outlets on different phases if within hand reach, taken as 2m. Also you used to have warnings if there were voltages above 230V so any box with 3-phase had to have one.

That has been relaxed (some ammendment to 17th edition?). Now the warnings are for voltages above a nominal 230V to ground, and the restriction on alternate-phase sockets seems to have vanished.
[automerge]1594843607[/automerge]
Here was the post:

I've heard this don't know if it's just considered good practice or if there a reg but never have two phases next to each other like this because of possible 400v

Possible 400V what?

There is no regulation or any 'good practice' relevant to this. It's just a very popular bit of nonsense used by semi-knowledgeable people and cowboys to attempt to discredit the work of others.

I have never known a Regulation stipulating adjacent accessories must be on the same phase. The 1st Ed of the 17th Ed and prior required warning notices where voltages above 400v was present between adjacent enclosures, I suspect the so called good practice came about to avoid the warning notice requirement by connecting local accessories to the same phase hence no notices required. Never a requirement.

Yes try and keep up two phases coming into contact what do you think happens?

I know what happens when 2 phases come in to contact, but how is that relevant?

Putting 2 sockets next to each other connected to 2 different phases doesn't mean electricity is going to magically leap out of one socket and into tbe other.

What fault are you suggesting that could actually cause this to become an issue?

You need to look at the requirements of basic and fault protection. I preferred the old direct and indirect contact.
[automerge]1594847999[/automerge]
Nah, I've just done a lot of practical (sometimes accidental) experiments into how to make things go bang.
Try creating a deliberate fault on a Federal Electric breaker and see what happens.

Reply to BS7671-2015 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net