Discuss C&G 2382-18 for EICRs in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm asking for a friend who is not sure whether he qualifies to carry out EICRs.

Assuming he has the appropriate insurance and experience, would a C&G 2382-18 qualification fulfil the other requirements, i.e.:
  • A qualification covering the current version of the wiring regulations
  • A qualification covering the periodic inspection, testing and certification of electrical installations

The C&G 2381-18 seems to cover both, as far as I can tell.

And by the way, he has been working as a commercial electrician for many years.

ideally he should have the 2391. however, the main issue is competence.

Officially there's no requirement to hold any qualification to carry out periodic inspections but you must be competent. But to prove competency the easiest way is to hold one of the following qualifications, others are available:

C&G 2391 level 3 the older qualification
C&G 2391-51 Level 3 Award in Periodic Inspection and Testing of Electrical Installations.
C&G 2391-52 Level 3 Award in Initial and Periodic Inspection and Testing of Electrical Installations.
C&G 2392 Level 2 Fundamental Inspection and Testing qualification.

EAL Level 3 Award in Electrical Installation Inspection, Testing, Certification and Reporting.
Other qualifications are available.

C&G 2382-18 is only an open book exam to show you know how to read and extract information from BS7671 and in no way covers you for periodic inspections.

I'm asking for a friend who is not sure whether he qualifies to carry out EICRs.

Assuming he has the appropriate insurance and experience, would a C&G 2382-18 qualification fulfil the other requirements, i.e.:
  • A qualification covering the current version of the wiring regulations
  • A qualification covering the periodic inspection, testing and certification of electrical installations

The C&G 2381-18 seems to cover both, as far as I can tell.

And by the way, he has been working as a commercial electrician for many years.

What other qualifications/experience does your friend. you have?
Genuinely not asking for myself. I'm not an electrician. He's someone who is interested in doing EICRs and I'm someone who needs to have some EICRs done. I tried getting a qualified electrician in, and he failed the report and claimed I needed a new consumer unit and RCDs on all circuits, which my friend advised me was not true (and I've had it confirmed by others). So I now want someone I trust to do the checks.

Genuinely not asking for myself. I'm not an electrician. He's someone who is interested in doing EICRs and I'm someone who needs to have some EICRs done. I tried getting a qualified electrician in, and he failed the report and claimed I needed a new consumer unit and RCDs on all circuits, which my friend advised me was not true (and I've had it confirmed by others). So I now want someone I trust to do the checks.
Get your friend to ask the specific question himself. don't take much to join the Forum

Officially there's no requirement to hold any qualification to carry out periodic inspections but you must be competent. But to prove competency the easiest way is to hold one of the following qualifications, others are available:

C&G 2391-51 Level 3 Award in Periodic Inspection and Testing of Electrical Installations.
C&G 2391-52 Level 3 Award in Initial and Periodic Inspection and Testing of Electrical Installations.

EAL Level 3 Award in Electrical Installation Inspection, Testing, Certification and Reporting.

C&G 2382-18 is only an open book exam to show you know how to read and extract information from BS7671 and in no way covers you for periodic inspections.

Okay, so you're saying that just because the C&G 2382-18 covers 'Inspection and testing of electrical installations', this would not be enough to prove the 'competence' requirement?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-09-07 163317.png
    167.4 KB · Views: 5
Okay, so you're saying that just because the C&G 2382-18 covers 'Inspection and testing of electrical installations', this would not be enough to prove the 'competence' requirement?
No, I wasn't saying C&G 2382 covers inspection and testing, please read my post again.

2382 covers the book BS7671 Wiring Regulations.
The book has a section on Periodic Inspection and Testing. It's a book that tells you what must be done, and not explicitly how to do it.

2391, and the others beginning with 239, are much more detailed exams, based on courses that are quite rigorous and difficult to pass for many.

However, as others have said, you can have the exams under your belt, but it's competence gained through experience and understanding of the various electrical systems that really counts.

No, I wasn't saying C&G 2382 covers inspection and testing, please read my post again.

My point was that C&G 2382-18 has a section which covers inspection and testing. See the screenshot I attached in my last post or refer to the C&G 2382-18 handbook:

Learning outcome

The learner will:

6 Understand the requirements of inspection and testing of electrical installations.

Assessment criteria

The learner can:

6.1 identify the requirements for inspection and testing

6.2 interpret how this applies to electrical installations including;
  • Chapter 64 Initial verification
  • Chapter 65 Periodic inspection and testing
So it does effectively 'cover' inspection and testing.

Whether or not that's sufficient to fulfil the requirement to carry out the inspections, that's my question...

It sounds to me like legally there would be nothing stopping him. Whether or not he should do it is another question.

And like I said before, please bear in mind that this is someone who has been working as a commercial electrician for many years. I personally don't think that it would be too difficult for him to read up on how to go about conducting an inspection and test, maybe referring to books like NAPIT Codebreakers to help him with the coding, etc. After all, everyone has to start somewhere. This is just my opinion though and I'm here to get an idea of the general consensus.

2382 covers the book BS7671 Wiring Regulations.
The book has a section on Periodic Inspection and Testing. It's a book that tells you what must be done, and not explicitly how to do it.

2391, and the others beginning with 239, are much more detailed exams, based on courses that are quite rigorous and difficult to pass for many.

However, as others have said, you can have the exams under your belt, but it's competence gained through experience and understanding of the various electrical systems that really counts.

Like I say, this is someone who has many years of experience working as a commercial electrician. He also does some work for me on the side and has done all kinds of what I would consider to be quite complex jobs, like replacing consumer units, fitting electric showers, etc.

Assuming he also has the 2382-18 qualification, which would give him a basic overview of the requirements of carrying out the inspection/testing, would he not be qualified to start carrying out EICRs? Could he not do further research himself to get up to speed with how to carry out the checks and use books like NAPIT Codebreakers to help him with the coding?

And if not, what in your opinion, would demonstrate sufficient competence to start doing EICRs on his own?

I think @Strima has already answered this question perfectly.
also, although not a requirement it would be a good idea for him to join one of the competent person schemes such as NICEIC or NAPIT.
this is a great way of proving competence because they check your qualifications, insurance, and through inspecting your work keep an eye on your knowledge.

I think @Strima has already answered this question perfectly.
also, although not a requirement it would be a good idea for him to join one of the competent person schemes such as NICEIC or NAPIT.
this is a great way of proving competence because they check your qualifications, insurance, and through inspecting your work keep an eye on your knowledge. subscription renewal date
corrected that for you.

My point was that C&G 2382-18 has a section which covers inspection and testing. See the screenshot I attached in my last post or refer to the C&G 2382-18 handbook:
That only covers on how to find the relevant information within BS7671 such as disconnection times, requirements for RCD protection, earthing conductor sizes and hundreds of other references.

It does not in any way cover how to inspect and test and installation, the courses I mentioned earlier on in the thread do.

That only covers on how to find the relevant information within BS7671 such as disconnection times, requirements for RCD protection, earthing conductor sizes and hundreds of other references.

It does not in any way cover how to inspect and test and installation, the courses I mentioned earlier on in the thread do.
Okay, that's what I wanted to know. Thank you

Reply to C&G 2382-18 for EICRs in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net