Discuss Cable buried in a flower bed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pretty Mouth

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Had a look at a job a few days ago where, should the work go ahead, it would be necessary to run a cable under a flower bed. This is the only option acceptable to the customer unfortunately. The cable will be low voltage, ELV is not an option as the cable will supply power to sockets.

The flower bed is raised by about a foot, is narrow, and lies between a path and a fence. I suspect the concrete holding the fence posts will prevent me burying the cable to a decent depth.

Has anyone got any clever ways of protecting such a cable from damage when the flower beds get dug over?

Thanks for the comments guys, it's a great help.

The customer doesn't want the cable clipped to the fence unfortunately. She is quite particular about minimising visible cables. I'll not know until I start digging, but looking at it, I'm not at all confident I'll be able to get deep enough to avoid contact from spades when digging.

On a similar job I was able to run the cable in conduit, then bed a course of bricks of bricks on top. It worked well because there was brickwork immediately below the conduit too (it was a brick built raised bed), so was totally solid. I'm not sure that would work as well in this instance, as much of the run will probably be soil beneath. Perhaps that doesn't matter though.

You could get scaffold tube which is 45mm + internal diameter 2 Metre Aluminium Tube - Alloy Scaffolding Tube - https://www.scaffolding-direct.co.uk/alloy-scaffolding-tube-48mm-tube-clamp-key-clamp-tube-or-scaffolding-4.aspx

And then line it on the inside with plastic 32mm pipe FloPlast Solvent Weld Waste Pipe White 32mm x 3m - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/floplast-solvent-weld-waste-pipe-white-32mm-x-3m/61967

If you need to make it really long you could join the tubes together with one of these Pressed Sleeve Coupler Scaffolding Fittings - https://www.scaffolding-direct.co.uk/scaffold-clamp-pressed-steel-sleeve-coupler-25-.aspx

For 32 mm pipe connector FloPlast Straight Couplers 32 x 32mm White 5 Pack - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/floplast-straight-couplers-32-x-32mm-white-5-pack/38660

A lot comes down to budget. There were once cable protection/marker bricks (?Baldwin) available that were perfect for this kind of thing but they don't seem to be as commonly available now, and the ones that turn up on line look expensive.
(And as I found out once, they aren't plumber proof when someone hands over the keys to a mini-digger...)

I'm assuming that galv conduit is too much of a faff to consider? Most manufacturers state it requires no extra anti-corrosion protection when in soil or concrete.
On that basis is galv trunking too expensive and over the top?

A lot comes down to budget. There were once cable protection/marker bricks (?Baldwin) available that were perfect for this kind of thing but they don't seem to be as commonly available now, and the ones that turn up on line look expensive.
(And as I found out once, they aren't plumber proof when someone hands over the keys to a mini-digger...)

I'm assuming that galv conduit is too much of a faff to consider? Most manufacturers state it requires no extra anti-corrosion protection when in soil or concrete.
On that basis is galv trunking too expensive and over the top?
I'm surprised that manufacturers are suggesting galv conduit for direct burial in soil. I would've thought it would rust through eventually?

Maybe consider SWA threaded through MDPE water pipe which is pretty tough and won't rust
I had considered this, perhaps using black pipe with electrical warning tape wrapped around it. Have seen this done a couple of times on farm instalations, and it seemed to work well, it is very tough. Kinda breaks a reg or 2 though doesn't it?

I'm surprised that manufacturers are suggesting galv conduit for direct burial in soil. I would've thought it would rust through eventually?
I would expect so. You can get stainless but at a price:

My first thought was plastic conduit but obv a spade can break through this. Then i thought that cheap ali pipe you can get from DIY shops but then it'd need earthing.

Personally i'd just run it in a piece of metal conduit with a through-box for access and fly lead it on the inside for the earth.

Reply to Cable buried in a flower bed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net