Advertisement - Content continues below
  • Thread starter Current Sniffer
  • Start date

Discuss Cable Rating?? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Current Sniffer

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi all,

Had a big day planned for Saturday, purchased some new 100A distribution boards etc etc and 50mtr of 16mm 4core arm 3phase cable, had it all at the site ready for me to arrive and install.

What I actually received was 50mtr of 4core 3phase arm cable with each of the cores measuring 6mm not 16mm!!! :mad::eek:
So forgive me if i'm wrong but I always thought that the 16mm part of the description was the diameter of the conductor??

I need to allow for the flow of approximately 100amps in the neutral, 6mm just isn't gona do it!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I'm not missing anything here am i, would welcome your comments!!:confused:

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
R

rumrunner

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi ,
its not the diameter of the conductor ,its the cross sectional area ,what does it say on the cable drum or delivery note ,

also .im not sure how you have calculated the neutral current .it all depends what circuits you are putting on the dis boards, ie ,motors,lights ??????

try and give a little more detail im sure someone can help
atvbitwww

S

Shakey

Hi all,

Had a big day planned for Saturday, purchased some new 100A distribution boards etc etc and 50mtr of 16mm 4core arm 3phase cable, had it all at the site ready for me to arrive and install.

What I actually received was 50mtr of 4core 3phase arm cable with each of the cores measuring 6mm not 16mm!!! :mad::eek:
So forgive me if i'm wrong but I always thought that the 16mm part of the description was the diameter of the conductor??

I need to allow for the flow of approximately 100amps in the neutral, 6mm just isn't gona do it!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I'm not missing anything here am i, would welcome your comments!!:confused:
not sure that 16mm will do it either!

C

Current Sniffer

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments so far...........
So what cable rating should i be using? :confused:

I want to ideally use SWAwith Xlpe thermosetting insulation to provide some mechanical protection to the cable (open to other options), its to be used outdoor in free air at an ambiant temperature of no more that 20 deg C.
The current carrying capacity needs to deal with upto 100amp as the distrubution board is fitted with a 100amp trip. So therefore the neutral with carry back the sum of the x3 live cores ie 100amp total.

Thoughts.....

Thanks
Steve

Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!

Reply to Cable Rating?? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
Top Bottom