Discuss Cables in cavities and RCD spurs in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

timo

Called to look at a job the other day and noticed the customer was having a new conservatory added to the house. The conservatory company included the sockets and light point in their price when the cutomer accepted the quote. Anyways while there i decided to have a look, the guy has run all the socket cables from a socket that is already a spur in the dinning room through the cavities in the new brick work and also said that the new sockets and light will be protected from an RCD spur.

Thought we could'nt run cables in cavities full stop.
Thought anything after one spur wasnt allowed unless everything was from a S/FCU and then as many as you want?
Also thought if you alter or add to a circuit you must bring the whole circuit upto date ie RCBO the whole down stairs ring and to check the water and gas etc are in place and 10mm (no water bond i dont think)

rant over :confused:

can't argue with you there. cables are OK in cavities if tubed. RCD/RCBO should be fitted as you say, and spurring off a spur is also a NO-NO.

Called to look at a job the other day and noticed the customer was having a new conservatory added to the house. The conservatory company included the sockets and light point in their price when the cutomer accepted the quote. Anyways while there i decided to have a look, the guy has run all the socket cables from a socket that is already a spur in the dinning room through the cavities in the new brick work and also said that the new sockets and light will be protected from an RCD spur.

Thought we could'nt run cables in cavities full stop.
Thought anything after one spur wasnt allowed unless everything was from a S/FCU and then as many as you want?
Also thought if you alter or add to a circuit you must bring the whole circuit upto date ie RCBO the whole down stairs ring and to check the water and gas etc are in place and 10mm (no water bond i dont think)

rant over :confused:

Agree with most of it except for bringing the whole circuit up to be protected by RCD, the new part must be the consideration though, if say it was a socket that was surface wired and had an RCD in it then no you wouldn't need to protect the whole circuit

and to check the water and gas etc are in place

Sometimes thats why others can take our work away,by not doing what we have to do and ought to be done

Reg 131.8

The altered addition will need Rcd, whether its whole circuit or just the new installed extended piece

Reply to Cables in cavities and RCD spurs in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net