Discuss Cables in cavity in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

ajelec10

As Iam not old enough to know about in the old days I would like to ask has it ever been acceptable to run cables in cavity walls? Its a pet hate of mine and have clashed opinions with another contractor regarding a property being purchased.

It was certainly much more common in yesteryear, nowadays it tends to be a matter of last resort, not something I'd personally do unless I really had to!

As Iam not old enough to know about in the old days I would like to ask has it ever been acceptable to run cables in cavity walls? Its a pet hate of mine and have clashed opinions with another contractor regarding a property being purchased.

Acceptable? um no, have I done it yes, in my house when I installed power to the loft, I dropped cables for the loft lighting down the cavity to the distboard under the stairs and I don't care haha.

there is no direct regulations saying you cant....
But NICEIC info suggests it is difficult for installer to ensure compliance on all of the following areas inside a cavity wot you cant see into!

522.8.1: Damage to cables during installation
Obstructions in cavity e.g. metal wall ties, mortar projections, create a risk of unseen damage.

522.8.4: Strain on cables lacking support.
Long unsupported vertical drops may put strain on conductors.

522.5.3: Materials liable to cause mutual or individual deterioration.
Expanded polystyrene sheets, granules or foam used in buildings for insulation if comes into contact with thermoplastic (pvc) cable sheathing, plasticiser can migrate from the thermoplastic to the polystyrene.

523.7: Cables in thermal insulationThermal insulation installed in cavity walls during or after construction, the cable current-carrying capacity is to be taken as half the �clipped direct� (Reference Method C) rating unless more precise information is available.

522.9.1 and 522.10.1: Presence of flora and fauna
Designers and installers may not necessarily detect or predict the presence of flora or fauna in a cavity wall. The wiring system should be selected to withstand all the external influences expected, or damage to cables may occur from, for example, mould or rodents.

Building Regulations
Building Regulations 2000, Approved Document C, 2004 Edition, Section 5: Walls, paragraph 5.13 b Cavity external walls, requires, amongst other things, that a cavity external wall is at least 50 mm wide, and the cavity is to be bridged only by wall ties or by cavity trays provided to prevent moisture being carried to the inner leaf.
A cavity is intended to provide a gap to prevent water penetration. Cables could bridge this protection if they touch both the inner and outer leaves of a cavity wall. Furthermore, the cables could provide a route for water to drain directly into accessories, with potentially dangerous results.

NHBC Requirements
It is noteworthy that the National House-Building Council states, in Section 8.1 - S2 of NHBC Standards, that no cables other than electricity meter tails are to be located in the cavity of an external wall. Where meter tails do have to pass through the cavity, however, this does not preclude the requirements of BS 7671 referred to in this topic having to be met.

If they provide adequate mechanical protection from falling debris then in theory yes, but with more and more cavity walls been filled with insulation this should be taken into account and also its not practical as you cant inspect the cable hasn't been damaged if your dragging it in unseen... it would be poor practice IMHO and ive never entertained it with PVC/PVC but i have run SWA in the cavity of a garden wall to bring a power supply to gate which i deem acceptable and within regs.

Reply to Cables in cavity in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net