Discuss Cabling a remote RCD and using it as an isolator switch in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I am drawing up a contract for a job in a domestic property which has a 3-phase Distribution Board and need to supply 3ph to a heat pump that's in the same room. An MCB in the DB will feed an RCD in its own enclosure, mounted next to the heat pump 3 metres away. I know that an RCD is desirable but have been told by some that it is an 18th Ed requirement too - but by others that it is not.

So, first, am I right in thinking that the 3m cable to the RCD has to be SWA, or standard cable in steel conduit, because the cable itself isn't protected by an RCD?
If the heat pump were in an outbuilding I appreciate that, under the 18th Ed, it would be normal/required to feed the RCD via SWA from the DB - but if the pump is nearby and in the same room?

Second, is their any reason why the RCD should not be used as the manual isolator for the heat pump, bearing in mind it can be located alongside? It would be easy to specify a larger enclosure to house both a dedicated isolator and the RCD with it, but would it be necessary? I'm sure I've seen spec's for either MCBs or RCDs (Hager maybe?) that promote the fact that their breakers can be used as isolators. Is it BS EN61008 that's the key?

Many thanks.

So, first, am I right in thinking that the 3m cable to the RCD has to be SWA, or standard cable in steel conduit, because the cable itself isn't protected by an RCD?

not necessary. RCD required only if cable is buried. if it's surface mounted no need. unless it's TT earthing and metal enclosures.

According to table 537.4, RCDs are suitable for isolation, emergency switching and functional switching

For RCDs to 60947-2 (Industrial applications mostly I think?), the note says they are only suitable for isolation if the device is marked with the symbol for isolation
Cabling a remote RCD and using it as an isolator switch {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

whereas 61008 and 61009 are fine for all uses according to BS7671

As @telectrix says, the cable can be anything suitable if it's surface mounted (or >50mm from surface)

There may be other considerations re the environment etc that may factor into choice of cable and protection, if it's likely to be bashed etc - but that's more a good practise thing than necessarily a regulation.

Reply to Cabling a remote RCD and using it as an isolator switch in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock