Discuss Called back to a Job ............................. advice needed in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparkysmate

Hi Guys

I recently completed a Kitchen Refurb everything is done and dusted all trades have completed their works and job's a good un or so i thought.......

The customer has called me back and had second thoughts on the electric Hob i installed infact it wasnt a new one she had the old one re-installed but now the customer has decided that she would rather a new hob to match the brand new kitchen ......

the new Electric hob she has bought doesnt fit the exsisting Hole cut out by the chippies in her new work top, so its left to me to slightly widen the hole so the new Hob fits flush

How do i do this so that i dont chip the formica/laminate, im really worried about this, ive explained the possibility of the problem to the customer and she seems happy enough to continue on, but i just know if something goes wrong il be left with the bill

Any hints or tips greatly appreciated..............

T&C`S mate. get a signature. also a bit of tape around where the cut is normally does the trick and any little chips are usually under the hob edge mate so won`t (shouldn`t) be seen

T&C`S mate. get a signature. also a bit of tape around where the cut is normally does the trick and any little chips are usually under the hob edge mate so won`t (shouldn`t) be seen

Good call on the Signature mate

i assume masking tape is the best thing to use, sorry if its a dumb question lol

Thanks for the quick reply

Signature
Masking tape
Brand new Jigsaw blade
file

Ive cut loads of worktops mate they really arnt anything to be afraid of! if the jobs anywhere near birmingham ill come and do it for you

Last edited:
not a dumb question mate. if you have not done it before you don`t know. i use the masking tape and have never had an issue when cutting them out. if she is funny about the signature mate and won`t sign advise her to get the chippie back in to cut it.

I wouldn't touch it mate, it was chippy/kitchen fitters job to cut the worktop to size.
I'd disconnect the hob and return when the new one is fitted.

If you've no experience in cutting worktops, this is the worst place to start.

Last edited:
You need to get the right sort of blade, I think they do some where the teeth point downwards and some with a double row of teeth like on the saw blade on a Swiss Army knife.
Whatever you do, don't use the blades where the teeth point upwards.

my advice is. get a chippie in. i had one to do, new hob just too big, only by a mill . told client it was too big. he then proceded to tap it in with a hammer and a piece of 3x2. last corner, bit tight, extra tap. you guessed it, halogen hob glass cracked. £250 down the swanee. glad i didn't do it.

firstly dont bother with the jigsaw use a circular saw turn it upside down and cut it that way any snags will be underneath and hidden. i work with a chippy and have to give him a hand today as it happens

firstly dont bother with the jigsaw use a circular saw turn it upside down and cut it that way any snags will be underneath and hidden. i work with a chippy and have to give him a hand today as it happens
don't think i'd like to lie on my back under a worktop and cut above my head. all the crap in my eyes. make her pay for a chippie. you fulfilled your contract by fitting the old one.

Good technique mate! .....however,

1, takes a lot of skill and practice to do it this way
2, Its more suited to cutting the hole out initially and doesent lend itself well to trimming holes wider!

It can be done with a router but again it takes a fair bit of skill

Use the Bosch blades that have been reccomended, i use them myself and they are really good, if you feel you need to clamp a 6ft level down and use it as a straight guide

one slip with the saw and he's in for a new worktop plus labour

and i want to avoid that at all costs lol

i willing to go the extra mile for her because A/ it will lead to more work and B/ Shes fit lol
OK so you pay the chippie. it's only an hour's work. bend her over the worktop after the chippie's left

Reply to Called back to a Job ............................. advice needed in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net