Discuss Can I start an electrical company with only Level 2? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I have experience as a sparks, and wanted to head it out on my own as self-employed whilst I undertake my level 3 on home study. What would be the deal on signing off work etc & could I undertake work?

Many thanks,

Gareth

What experience do you have? Give more information of your experience, you’ll probably get the same answer 20 times but at least we’ll know more about this experience and why you think you’re ready.
Also it’ll save Pete999 raving about a lack of information!

can you work - yes
should you work - only you know if you are skilled and wise enough to work within your limits.
signing off work - so long as you got your 17th, a testing qualification 2392 or 2391 etc... then the niceic will welcome you with open arms once you got a multi tester, some insurance and a calibration cert.

Experience is the key in this job, no shortcuts to be had, i still learn things everyday

There's also the issue of man in a van firms who have no time gained experience, no formal qualifications, no actual insurance and no real chance of being sued for all their fug ups.
They start off by pricing themselves to get lots of cheap and cheerful jobs, build up a reputation (good or bad) and eventually start getting brave enough to take on bigger jobs until all the drawbacks above get lost in the mists of time.
Do you think I know of a few around here?
I even heard of three vans with NICEIC displayed when they are no longer registered. Two of whom have apparently already been prosecuted once.
You just can't fight overly frugal customers and persistent offenders with anger and resentment, because they will always find each other. Better to look inwardly and consider what you can do better and let the rat race run.
All that wasn't necesarily directed at you Gareth other than to let you know that anyone can say "I have experience" and anyone can find work, but to find much needed support on a forum such as this you may find that you need to back up the statement a little better. Good luck fella. ;)

Do yourself a favour and learn on somebody else's time. Go on your own when you know what you are doing...in my opinion.

I should expand....you will make mistakes and never stop learning but it is better to make those mistakes when you are on the books than for yourself. You will probably look back in 10 years and think I can't believe I used to do that like that. Don't rush go self employed when you are ready.

Reply to Can I start an electrical company with only Level 2? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net