Discuss Can I swap halogen downlighter GU10 bulbs with 4w LED ones? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Eszaq1

DIY
Reaction score
I have 12 x 40w halogen downlighters in our kitchen ceiling which I want to replace with 4w LED equivalent. Can they be a straight swap? Will there be an issue with the transformer/voltage?
The light switch is standard type. If I wanted to upgrade the switch to a dimmer type (and the new LED bulbs were dimmable), would the set up work?
Thanks in advance.

GU10 lamps are mains powered so as long as your existing and replacement lamps are both GU10 then you should have no problem. Dimming is a bit more involved, you must make sure the dimmer you use is LED compatible and have sufficient load rating to cope with the electrical load and number of LED lamps. (these are two seperate considerations and most good dimmers will give you the info for both)

I think I have read this correctly, the existing lamps are Halogen on a Transformer, therefore assuming the Halogen lights are not 240volt the new GU10 LED lights if 240volts will not work off that transformed supply.

I think I have read this correctly, the existing lamps are Halogen on a Transformer, therefore assuming the Halogen lights are not 240volt the new GU10 LED lights if 240volts will not work off that transformed supply.
He states in the subject that they are GU10 halogen lamps i. e. No transformer. Perhaps the OP can clarify?

Yes you can retrofit mains led for mains gu10 haloge.
infact I would recommend it.
as above dimming can be a bit of an issue so make sure you buy the lamps and dimmer from the same place and ask the, if they are compatible

True Bill and if your dimming them anyway I always recommend putting a higher output lamp in to achieve the best range of dimming maybe a 6 or 7 watt GU10 LED would be preferable
Not necessarily, I know some dimmable 4w lamps with a higher luminous output that 7w lamps.
Just need to select carefully with the luminous output in consideration along colour (3000k/4000k etc) with dimmer compatibility but otherwise straight swap of lamps.

Not necessarily, I know some dimmable 4w lamps with a higher luminous output that 7w lamps.
Just need to select carefully with the luminous output in consideration along colour (3000k/4000k etc) with dimmer compatibility but otherwise straight swap of lamps.
Interesting. Which lamps are you making this comparison between?

If you are trying to emulate a Halogen or tungsten lamp then you need Warm White and about eight watts, LED lamps have progressed in light output over the years and you could find that six watts may be sufficient, what is the size of the room and are the lights in a uniform grid over the ceiling.

Last edited:
Interesting. Which lamps are you making this comparison between?
One specific situation where client supplied fitting c/w 6w non dimmable lamps (In plain white boxes).
Client wanted dimmable so got some which happened to be 4w En-Lite and noticed higher lm’s than the 6w.
I’ve found higher wattage doesn’t necessarily mean a higher luminous output. It’s all down to the chip(s) used!

Reply to Can I swap halogen downlighter GU10 bulbs with 4w LED ones? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock