Discuss Central Heating wiring mess - help please in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

All,

Just been to see a chap who let a "friend" look at his boiler controls. The actual controller is a very old Drayton Tempus Seven

Its now not working!! and you'll see from the picture that its a bit of a muddle and most of the wires are white.

There are 5 cables entering this box so is it definitely a Y plan?

Any tips on checking and reconnecting the cables??

Thanks.

Heating mess.jpg

Well you can not say if it is a 'y' plan just by the number of wires entering the wiring box in this instance as nothing labeled and all wires white

I know it is nice to be able to open the main wiring center and carry out all your tests but often when wiring boxes like this one,it does not make sense as it can just take to long to trace and label everything and if you start disconnecting wires,you can soon loose track of what is what and end in a right pickle

So I would test at the units themselves,pump,boiler,programmer,thermostats,motorised valves

You say nothing is working,if this is the case would first check power into system and then boiler and pump,then move on to motorised valves

The customers "mate" had touched the power!

Do you have any tips for testing the individual items other than continuity tests to determine which cables are which?

Reply to Central Heating wiring mess - help please in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hey everyone, hope you all had a good xmas. Got called around to change over an old style pin type thermostat to a hive one for a family member...
Replies
Views
Good evening, I have recently moved into a new home and I am having problems with the MCB/RCD tripping (Mem M6 Type 3 - 30mA). It intermittently...
Replies
Views
I have not had to do the wiring for a wet underfloor heating system before. I think I started a thread fairly recently and had some very good...
Replies
Views
I have a Firebird oil boiler that is controlled by a Honeywell timer (no thermostat) that has channels for hot water and central heating...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm in the process of changing my wired remeha thermostat with the wireless hive mini, I've had a look at the manual and believe I have...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock