Discuss Changing light, too many wires! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Anaism22

DIY
Reaction score
Hello,
We just changed the lighting of our kitchen. It was a ceiling light with two rows of spotlight. The new lighting only has one row. When we removed the old one it looked like there was too many wires - two big cables with 3-4 wires each.
There’s 2x red (L), 1x blue, 1x black, 1x yellow and the earth (yellow/green)

I’m not sure which one to connect together?
I’ve left the black and yellow unplugged as I wasn’t sure. Now the light turns on but we can switch it off.
I’m guessing the circuit is not closed.

I’m attaching a picture for reference.

Thanks
Ana

Attachments

• B06F9053-F0D1-4394-B310-AF53B22B192A.jpeg
    63.4 KB · Views: 183
Did you make a note of where each wore connected previously or take a picture?
If not then you will need to test each conductor to identify what their function is.

This is not the 'normal' arrangement for a domestic lighting circuit, there would normally be more wires there than that.

The two reds are likely to be permanent live, which is why the light is now permanently on! Another wire (yellow or black) is likely to be switched live, ideally tested using an approved voltage indicator (and not a neon screwdriver!).

If you unscrew the light switch, all power off at your consumer unit, when doing this note the colours, take a photo, this will point you in the right direction, hopefully you have yellow and black? It’s possibly a blue that’s discoloured, the switch picks it’s voltage from the ceiling cables when they are connected together,one possible combination all earths together, 2 blues together, 2 browns and the yellow together, so the blues connect to the light and the switched live connection will be your black that connects to your brown at light, good luck

Did you make a note of where each wore connected previously or take a picture?
If not then you will need to test each conductor to identify what their function is.

This is not the 'normal' arrangement for a domestic lighting circuit, there would normally be more wires there than that.
Sadly my partner didn’t take note of the colours before removing it - I know it was silly!
[automerge]1576932381[/automerge]
The two reds are likely to be permanent live, which is why the light is now permanently on! Another wire (yellow or black) is likely to be switched live, ideally tested using an approved voltage indicator (and not a neon screwdriver!).
At the moment the black and yellow are not connected to anything.
Do you think the Blue & Black could be put together? I’m unsure why there’s 1x black. 1x yellow and 1x blue. They usually work by pair like the 2 reds.
[automerge]1576932413[/automerge]
If you unscrew the light switch, all power off at your consumer unit, when doing this note the colours, take a photo, this will point you in the right direction, hopefully you have yellow and black? It’s possibly a blue that’s discoloured, the switch picks it’s voltage from the ceiling cables when they are connected together,one possible combination all earths together, 2 blues together, 2 browns and the yellow together, so the blues connect to the light and the switched live connection will be your black that connects to your brown at light, good luck
okay thank you! I’ll have a look at the switch. What should I look at? The colours?

Sadly my partner didn’t take note of the colours before removing it - I know it was silly!
[automerge]1576932381[/automerge]

At the moment the black and yellow are not connected to anything.
Do you think the Blue & Black could be put together? I’m unsure why there’s 1x black. 1x yellow and 1x blue. They usually work by pair like the 2 reds.
[automerge]1576932413[/automerge]

okay thank you! I’ll have a look at the switch. What should I look at? The colours?
Yes of course the colours

Be careful. The black is either a switchwire or a neutral. It’s not a good idea getting them mixed up!

All I can be certain of is the reds are permanent live. Connected together, but not to the light fitting.

It’s unusual to have a 3 core at a light fitting except maybe in a bathroom supplying an extract fan.

Yes of course the colours
They are all reds in the switch and one black.
[automerge]1576945803[/automerge]
Be careful. The black is either a switchwire or a neutral. It’s not a good idea getting them mixed up!

All I can be certain of is the reds are permanent live. Connected together, but not to the light fitting.

It’s unusual to have a 3 core at a light fitting except maybe in a bathroom supplying an extract fan.
Thank you! I think the black is the switchwire as i could see one in the switch among other red wires. If that’s the case, where should the black go?

The washer at the bottom the photo has a small tag, which looks like it went into the E terminal of the chock block. That being so, it needs reconnecting.

The washer at the bottom the photo has a small tag, which looks like it went into the E terminal of the chock block. That being so, it needs reconnecting.
Thank you so much!

It does look like a metal light fitting, however it was mentioned to connect the Earth wire in the middle section so I’m not sure it’s a class II (as it would mean no earth needed correct?).

May I please ask you to indicate which part needs reconnecting in the photo? Sorry to be a pain.
[automerge]1577009106[/automerge]
Show a pic of the switch wiring.
Sorry didn’t get a pic! Will try tomorrow.
It’s a two-way switch - on and off. One switch has 2 reds, and the other one has one red and one black if I remember correctly.
[automerge]1577009167[/automerge]
Exactly what I thought, it might have been class II - but lost all its double insulation the moment that chocolate block was used!

The chocolate block was provided with the light fitting, it was already all connected.

In reality you really shouldn’t be messing around with this light fitting, it’s clear that you absolutely no skill or abilities to perform what’s required to install the light without leaving it in a dangerous condition, time to call a local electrician, what area do you live. Do not be offended by this it’s just fact
Regards phil

Be wary..

There is an estate near me where it has been wired and the yellow on all the 3c cable is actually the earth and the cpcs have all been cut out or aren't connected to anything

Thank you so much!

It does look like a metal light fitting, however it was mentioned to connect the Earth wire in the middle section so I’m not sure it’s a class II (as it would mean no earth needed correct?).

May I please ask you to indicate which part needs reconnecting in the photo? Sorry to be a pain.
[automerge]1577009106[/automerge]

Sorry didn’t get a pic! Will try tomorrow.
It’s a two-way switch - on and off. One switch has 2 reds, and the other one has one red and one black if I remember correctly.
[automerge]1577009167[/automerge]

The chocolate block was provided with the light fitting, it was already all connected.

But the centre connection must be connected to the metal of the light fitting itself - then to the cpc (earth) wire of the circuit.

if not and it is class II, then the actual connections must be made outside of the lamp fitting in an insulated box, if the connections are in the fitting, then it can't be class II

About the most important connection that should be made is the earth!

The switch is a 2 gang... not a 2 way.
2 way means 2 switches operating the same light.

it really would take an electrician 10 minutes to sort this for you, but may charge by the hour.

4A9D0243-6059-4426-9FA7-CE284F47D5AB.jpeg

Reply to Changing light, too many wires! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net