Discuss City and Guilds 2357 NVQ conversion in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have my 2365-03 and the company I work for would like to put me through the 2357 NVQ conversion. I am a project manager for said company and we are mostly a data company wanting to grow the electrical side. I am at the centre of this growth having recently completed my 2396 level 4 design course. The reason for doing the NVQ is mostly for a back up electrician if we are let down or we need something completing in a short space of time.

My query is, am I going to be able to do the NVQ? I can get on site and help with installations but these will mostly be small radial circuits because we don't tender for much more than that at the moment. I don't want to waste my time and their money trying to do something which is going to take years. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, I live in Andover and I cannot find any college or company near me that even does the NVQ, closest I have found that will come to jobs near me is in Notingham, any suggestions would also be appreciated.

There is another course called 2356 NVQ3 ‘mature candidate assessment’ which might be better for you?
There’s a place near me in Harlow that does it along with the 2357 NVQ3.
I would imagine there’s lots of places that do the courses closer to you.

There is another course called 2356 NVQ3 ‘mature candidate assessment’ which might be better for you?
There’s a place near me in Harlow that does it along with the 2357 NVQ3.
I would imagine there’s lots of places that do the courses closer to you.

Correct me if I am wrong but I wouldn't put myself in the mature candidate bracket because my on site experience is quite minimal?

Correct me if I am wrong but I wouldn't put myself in the mature candidate bracket because my on site experience is quite minimal?
You could be right?
I don’t have an NVQ and have no personal experience of either of the courses.
I’ve met people on site who were doing the 2357, and they were all working towards their core electrical qualifications.
From your post, I assumed you already have core qualifications.

If you've been in the game for longer than 5 years you'll be referred to as a "mature candidate", this will enable you to bypass some of the units within the NVQ that an apprentice would have to.

Small radials will be more than enough, you'd be asked to do the radials in different installations (SWA, FP200, singles in conduit, T&E in trunking) - it's all about ticking boxes.

You could be right?
I don’t have an NVQ and have no personal experience of either of the courses.
I’ve met people on site who were doing the 2357, and they were all working towards their core electrical qualifications.
From your post, I assumed you already have core qualifications.
I have got the 2365 but very little on site experience (as a spark) I have been a data engineer for 10 years. Just taken my 2396 exam, poo a brick that was hard!! If I fail I am put off retaking that for life.

Reply to City and Guilds 2357 NVQ conversion in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock