Discuss clearing up a segregation issue? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

DT1991

-
Reaction score
Hi All, Am i correct in saying FP200 230v cable and run parallel, (i.e. on same tray/basket with no divider) with FP200 Cat 5 cable. Reason being FP200 is self segregating? Just want a clear answer please chaps.

Hi All, Am i correct in saying FP200 230v cable and run parallel, (i.e. on same tray/basket with no divider) with FP200 Cat 5 cable. Reason being FP200 is self segregating? Just want a clear answer please chaps.

New one on me!

Do you mean FP200 run along Cat5E on same tray/basket?

confused .com. wtf do you mean. is it fp200 or cat5?

LOL,
I have never seen a FP200 Cat5 cable, cant see the need for a fire resistance network cable.
FP200 is not a "self segregating" cable, its just a fire resistance cable used for fire alarms and central battery EM lighting systems (not to be used on self contained fittings as to many people do).
The voltage going through the FP200 would also need to be established.

I am not sure prysmian make FP200 Cat 5 cable.
If it is cat5 cable then it would be rated to 50V and would not be suitable for use in the same containment as 230V cables.

LOL,
I have never seen a FP200 Cat5 cable, cant see the need for a fire resistance network cable.
FP200 is not a "self segregating" cable, its just a fire resistance cable used for fire alarms and central battery EM lighting systems (not to be used on self contained fittings as to many people do).
Thanks

LOL,

Don't think you can get FP200 Cat 5, ohh and voltage don't go through anything, it's the voltage applied

all depends on the voltage rating of the cable. if it's rated up to 230V then all you need to worry about is interference from the FP200 if that's on mains voltage.

Don't think you can get FP200 Cat 5, ohh and voltage don't go through anything, it's the voltage applied

Correct Pete, but I still think its black magic :ninja:
But i think they knew what I was getting at.

Yes Dt1991 Firetuf is the same as FP and looking at the Draka cable it says it tries to be a network cable.
The Cat5e I have has a sheath rating above 50v

So what we are getting at here is that draka Ft running data cannot be ran with FP on 230v.

my apologies for getting the data cable mixed up also.

I have picked up though previously that fp is self segregating, am I completely wrong or what? It was something to do with earthing the screen on the cable.

From BS5839
The circuits of fire alarm systems need to be segregated from the cables of other circuits to minimize any potential for other circuits to cause malfunction of the fire alarm system arising from:

— breakdown of cable insulation of other circuits and/or fire alarm circuits;
— a fire caused by a fault on another circuit;
— electromagnetic interference to any fire alarm circuit as a result of the proximity of another circuit;
— damage resulting from the need for other circuits to be installed in, or removed from, ducts or trunking containing a fire alarm circuit.
In order to facilitate identification of fire alarm circuits, cables should preferably be red in colour, unless another form of colour coding is appropriate. By this means, the possible need for appropriate segregation[FONT=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] can be identified, and there will be less likelihood of inadvertent manual interference with the circuits of fire alarm systems (e.g. during work on other electrical circuits).[/FONT]

[FONT=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Basically fire cables should not be next to any other cable/system.[/FONT]

From BS5839
The circuits of fire alarm systems need to be segregated from the cables of other circuits to minimize any potential for other circuits to cause malfunction of the fire alarm system arising from:

— breakdown of cable insulation of other circuits and/or fire alarm circuits;
— a fire caused by a fault on another circuit;
— electromagnetic interference to any fire alarm circuit as a result of the proximity of another circuit;
— damage resulting from the need for other circuits to be installed in, or removed from, ducts or trunking containing a fire alarm circuit.
In order to facilitate identification of fire alarm circuits, cables should preferably be red in colour, unless another form of colour coding is appropriate. By this means, the possible need for appropriatesegregation can be identified, and there will be less likelihood of inadvertent manual interference with the circuits of fire alarm systems (e.g. during work on other electrical circuits).

Basically fire cables should not be next to any other cable/system.

This is not a fire alarm system cable.

It's in the specification of the job. I'm sure FP is not limited to Fire Alarm systems ONLY.

Well that's what it was designed/made for (fire alarms/EM lighting) as MI was/is expensive and the main colors of red/white, but yes it could be used for other things.

Last edited:

Reply to clearing up a segregation issue? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net