Discuss Click Flow Connector in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hightower

Got some small fluorescent tubes under the kitchen cupboards as worktop lighting, very unreliable, going to change them to LED strips (maybe something like this TLC Link) - the feed is direct to the light location, which loops in and out for all the lights, so 2 cables to each light except the last. I expect it'll be a bit fiddly getting 2 cables in to the lights I've linked - so was looking for thoughts.

My idea was to use these (Another TLC Link) and then have one short cable to the strip light. These seem small enough to hide away under the lip of the cupboard alongside the strip light (maybe a bit sticky tape to secure them?)

Just looking for thoughts on the method I'm thinking of, or improvements/suggestions that you might have?

Thanks,

personally, i'd fit a FCU off the socket circuit. then use the proprietory links with the fittings. this way, if youever have a fault on the lighting circuit, you'll still have some light in the kitchen.

I think these lights have an 'in' and an 'out' pluggable connector, one at each end. Can't you just feed one end and buy the linking cables?

Nah, the cupboards are separated (cooker hood etc). The wiring is all in place, just trying to find the easiest way to utilise it.

think i see it now. maybe a wago lighting enclosure with wagos might be better. these can be fixed to the underside of the cupboards.

think i see it now. maybe a wago lighting enclosure with wagos might be better. these can be fixed to the underside of the cupboards.

Yeah, that was the first thing that came to mind, but they are 29mm deep whereas the click are 23mm. I know, what's half a cm between friends, right? But then I thought those click push connectors look awfully handy - where I can wire the lights in a comfy chair and then just push in to place when done.

or you could use the B&Q tried and trusted method of choc block with 2 layers of tape. :boxing_smiley:

the click connectors are fine. they incorporate strain relief for the cables and are suitably IP rated. only thing is if you are going to use flex to the fitting, the ends should be ferruled.

How's your carpentry skills? Put all the carp on top of the wall units, then drop a feed (manufacturers or otherwise) down the back of one wall unit. If you have any seating positions (like dinning table) near wall units, all you install under the units tends to becomes clearly visible, if you get my drift.

These are quite good and easy to install, whilst doing an impression of the matrix!
http://www.anselluk.com/products/Axiom-Rigid-LED-Strip/c325

Last edited:
How's your carpentry skills? Put all the carp on top of the wall units, then drop a feed (manufacturers or otherwise) down the back of one wall unit. If you have any seating positions (like dinning table) near wall units, all you install under the units tends to becomes clearly visible, if you get my drift.

That's what I would do normally for a brand new install, but all the cabling is already in place and supplying the current fittings. The cables were chased in to the wall when the house was built years ago, so would be a lot of work (for not much gain) to not utilise them how they currently are.

The gain is in the aesthetic appearance and customer satisfaction .
Although looking at those connectors the are probably 'flatter' than the fitting.

The gain is in the aesthetic appearance and customer satisfaction .
Although looking at those connectors the are probably 'flatter' than the fitting.

They are, the fittings are about 35mm I think. Still not seeing this 'gain' though - if someone came to my house and suggested knocking holes in my walls unnecessarily when the cables are already in place (tidily in place I might add - not like there's anything dangling), I'd be pretty dis-satisfied. I see your point about hiding things away etc, but going to all that effort to hide something that someone might see when they fall on their backside at a new year party....

personally, i'd fit a FCU off the socket circuit. then use the proprietory links with the fittings. this way, if youever have a fault on the lighting circuit, you'll still have some light in the kitchen.

Not a fan of fcu for underunit lights, cant you come off the lighting switch.? Find it much more profesional look.

Think you must be missing the post that says the wiring is indeed already in place - it's essentially a like-for-like replacement.
Did miss that point myself. The Wago lighting box as suggested, is slightly more discrete in that case, than the Click Flow. As long as you only have two incoming cables.

Did miss that point myself. The Wago lighting box as suggested, is slightly more discrete in that case, than the Click Flow. As long as you only have two incoming cables.

This would be my option if i was in your situation. I wouldn't use a click flow - i find them pretty ugly anyway. You can make a much neater job with wago lighting box ! :)

Call me old fashioned but the little round 20A 4 terminal joint boxes have always worked fine for this, and they even come in white or brown to suit the colour of the cupboard

Reply to Click Flow Connector in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net