Discuss Compex Question Exe joint box gland in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I know that on new installs the glands used on Exe joint boxes must be certified Exe or Exe/Exd glands.
My question is on existing Ex installations prior to 2007 was it permitted to use a CW gland swa gland on armoured cables?

cheers

Yes I know the areas were zoned before 2007 but prior to this date uncertified glands were permitted to be used on Exe boxes in zoned areas. My question relates to what constitutes an uncertified gland. Does this mean CW glands were permitted?

I'm not well up on the detailed requirements of exe but as a minimum I would suggest to look at the installation instructions of the junction box. If the MI states that appropriately certified glancing is required to maintain the protection concept then there is only one choice.
Regards
Martin.

As far as I can remember certified glands had to be used prior to 2007. I would have to have a look to see if I still have my older complex books to be certain, if I still have them

Hi,

EExe requires the appropriate EExd or EExe gland and to maintain IP54 with a certified sealing washer. I believe you may be able to use waterproof glands under certain conditions IEC 60079 , but I have never seen or heard of that option being employed.The only type of equipment that can use an uncertified gland is Exn, but it must still meet ingress protection.

Regards.

The answer is no it wasn't permitted to use ordinary glands as they would of provided a flame path etc what I ment to say is I was installing exe exe glands back in the late nineties hope that helps I do have my comp ex though I must admit bit rusty in that are not used it for a bit

farmelectrics is talking about Exd as he mentions flamepaths
Prior to the revision of the standard in 2007 you were permitted to use a non certified gland on Ex e equipment provided it met I.P. and impact protection to Ex e standard. You could also use and Ex e or an Ex d gland on Ex e equipment too. You could even use a certified barrier or compound gland if you wanted.

We were using flameproof SWA glands back in the 80's, in our companies hazardous areas, but then the company i was working for used the American system, that's always been more stringent than the European Ex systems....

farmelectrics is talking about Exd as he mentions flamepaths
Prior to the revision of the standard in 2007 you were permitted to use a non certified gland on Ex e equipment provided it met I.P. and impact protection to Ex e standard. You could also use and Ex e or an Ex d gland on Ex e equipment too. You could even use a certified barrier or compound gland if you wanted.

Listener, is a CW gland classed as a non certified gland or did a non certified gland still have Exe or Exd markings on them but not the Atex cert number for example?

Reply to Compex Question Exe joint box gland in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net