Discuss Computer room ring or radial in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

AdieB

-
Reaction score
Got a job in a school. They require power for their computer suite. There will be approximately 20 PC's The question is due to earth leakage should I install 3 off 2.5mm ring circuits cabled in singles all of 2.5mm with the sockets having twin earth connections and the earths at the DB going to seperate terminals. Or 3 off 4mm radials with the sockets having twin earth connections and there being a second earth cable providing a ring circuit for the earths the earths at the DB going to seperate terminals.
What do you think?

AdieB

The last computer room I did I used rings using the 'leapfrog' method, as there were three quite linear cable runs. I used dado trunking and provided a high integrity earth. It works fine. Don't overthink it!

As with all circuit designs how much is it going to pull ? I agree it needs splitting but 4mm or a 3 x 2.5 rings all at 32A ? is it pulling that much ?.

As for high integrity earthing arrangements you will need to refer to the BGB page 165,543.7.1 through to 543.7.2.101 and decide how you want to deal with the install, the Green OSG page 77 outlines solutions.

ATB J

Got a job in a school. They require power for their computer suite. There will be approximately 20 PC's The question is due to earth leakage should I install 3 off 2.5mm ring circuits cabled in singles all of 2.5mm with the sockets having twin earth connections and the earths at the DB going to seperate terminals. Or 3 off 4mm radials with the sockets having twin earth connections and there being a second earth cable providing a ring circuit for the earths the earths at the DB going to seperate terminals.
What do you think?

AdieB

What is the length of the RFC circuits?

at 500W a PC, 20 Pc are about 10KW,

32A is equivalent to 7.4KW at 230V

I would personally install 2 x RFC circuits @ 2.5mm leap frog equally divided between 10+10 computers, if RFC length is suitable for Volt Drop. and install 2 x High Integrety Earth ring back to seperate terminals at the CU.

I take it that these circuits supplying these computers/printers/scanners etc are going to have RCD protection?? If so, then it's the leakage currents that's going to determine how many computers or whatever are going to be supplied by each circuit. Generally i will only supply 5 to 6 workstations per circuit to cater for natural earth leakage currents. So it's not just a matter of load calculation when dealing with IT installations.....

Just done a quick test on my power hungry twin disked tower and monitor combined. It's drawing 180W at steady state (after initial boot up) for both monitor and PC. Leakage is around 0.5mA. As Engineer54 has said, it's the leakage that you should use to use to drive the circuit splitting decisions, as that will usually reach tripping threashold before exceeding supply of current on a circuit.

If the length/volt drop is short/ok, one 32amp ring without 30mA protection would be fine. Just make sure there is a labelled, 30mA protected socket on hand for the cleaners to plug their vacs into.

I'd probably install 2 rings however to allow for future expansion when the class size gets bigger.

There is no need for RCD protection on IT only circuits. Mark it as a deviation on the EIC.

Reply to Computer room ring or radial in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net