Discuss Console Job in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Markc

-
Reaction score
Hi All,

A few weeks ago I asked if anyone had worked with the Console system as a ground mount. Not many replies came back so I thought I'd post our findings on them now, as we completed one last week.

The first survey visit was for a on roof system and none of the previous three companies had suggested ground mount. Three large paddocks to the rear of the property allowed for a south facing and zero shading system. The rear paddock is approximately 2.5mts higher than the rear garden and held back with a retaining wall so height was going to be an issue. After looking about the consoles came to light.

The client was very keen on these and stepped up his first idea of approximately 12 panels to a 4Kw system given the higher estimated yield possible by this location. Our quote was accepted and we provided drawings and planning application for the system. All passed in a matter of days really! Local council was very, very keen.

We used 22 x Sharp NU180E1 panels on a Diehl Platinum 3800S, A good combination for G83/1 notification, yield and inverter ratio.

All 22 consoles could be picked up with two men but to save the back we split them into three. There's really not much to them. One console comes with a set of brackets and a bag of A2 - M6 nuts and bolts. The panel is fitted landscape and to size the console to panel is a simple step of finding the centre measurement of the fixing holes to the rear of the panel and working this to the scope of sizes given on the console. The Sharp panels required the 4.2 console and is second from largest in the range.

As a ground mount system we stuck to the manufactures instruction for ballast weighting. Considering they are designed for flat roof installations the ballast weight isn't as much as you might think. The client had a gravel bed made and two ton of gravel left for ballast. We used all of it. We found the console a bit flimsy when filling with gravel and the sides bowed out. It's better to fill a little at a time rather than tipping a barrow full in at once. Even when ballasted they can still be moved about for levelling and lining up.

With the panel its a simple job of bolting on the two rails and laying them on the console, with the DC cables hanging out the rear for testing. Four holes need to be drilled through the consoles and the rails bolted to them. The rear bolts are very easy but the front are very low and so much more fiddly.

Once all are bolted down it's a case of lining up and here's where the time went. Looking down the line every little dip and turn is shown on the panels but after a long time we got them looking good and more importantly to the clients satisfaction.

After testing the panels there's no more to do than plug them all together, complete the mains and inverter and connect the string. Only one in this case. We drilled 20mm hole to the lower inside edge of the four end consoles for Koppex on the DC cables. Mechanical protection is required to the DC is they lay in the gravel. 20mm conduit and koppex works well and allows for movement of the console when needed. The interconnecting panel cables lay under the panel and out of the side to the next panel. Conduit was dug in to 600mm depth. Not that anyone is going to dig them up.

We completed the job in 14hours for two men and would certainly consider this system again. The lessons to be learnt would be to spend more time on the base works ensuring levelness and taking time to line the consoles up with the panels fitted over lining up the consoles on their own. The ballast weight tends to move them again.

We would certainly recommend this for the right location. A drawback is possibly going to be the low panel height for grass cutting or alike and possible theft so it is important to discuss this with the client first.

If you have any questions then please ask.

Regards

Mark C

Attachments

• IMG00160-20110126-1414.jpg
    463.7 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG00166-20110126-1528.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG00154-20110125-1159.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG00146-20110125-1134.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG00149-20110125-1135.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG00161-20110126-1414.jpg
    415 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG00159-20110126-1347.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG00147-20110125-1135.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG00143-20110125-1133.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG00153-20110125-1159.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG00151-20110125-1137.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG00158-20110126-1347.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG00152-20110125-1138.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 94
Nice job just spec'd same for a flat roof commercial job , I was dubious about these at first but for this job they'll tick a lot of boxes ie no roof penetrations, low enough too be out of sight from the road( for security) , and a shorter install time.

Nice job just spec'd same for a flat roof commercial job , I was dubious about these at first but for this job they'll tick a lot of boxes ie no roof penetrations, low enough too be out of sight from the road( for security) , and a shorter install time.

I certainly recommend their use and we will use them again. As they were first designed for flat roof they would be a perfect product. Ballast weight is less also.

hi just had a quick read of your console piece. Very good so thanks for putting in the effort to help others. It's much appreciated.

I'll PM you with a question - hopefully you can help.

consules are nice units , suntubs from solarworld much better and far better construction and weight

16 x sunmodules 245wp + 16 suntubs for a great little 4kwp system

nice install!

We have used these quite a bit (sorry, didn't see your original post to comment). Only used them on a flat roof and found them very good, especially when you can't place in a block formation because of obstacles on the roof; however, we have found that the ballast recommended by the manufacturer is very high, especially on a 6-7 story building.

Weight of ballast is biggest problem with these for roof mount. I got involved second hand with a proposed job through my Structural Engineer where these had been specified. He nearly had apoplexy when I gave him the full specification. There are far better solutions for flat roofs. The consoles are god for ground mount, but there are most cost effective solutions where mounting can be optimised to the angle of incidience.

They can be a good option for some roofs. They are incredibly quick to install but I would recommend considering bringing in a couple of pairs of hands along to cart the ballast to the roof space - particularly if it is a few floors high. The amount of ballast involved can be surprising.

hey guys sorry im really new to the forum and cant find a way to PM someone i have a small question about the consoles , how do we connect the panels together , do we have to drill in the side of each console to connect the panels in series or u can run the cable inside ventilation holes or something.

Thanks

The Consoles are shaped with a small gap on each side with room to run cables between the panels and Console, you can connect them in series very easily. They are a good, easy to install solution. They are limited (as with all ballasted solutions) when it comes to higher roofs of over 10m, where the amount of ballast and distance to the edge required rules out most installations.

Solar King - Out of interest what solutions do you recommend for flat roofs?

Reply to Console Job in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net