Discuss Consumer unit upgraded - no earth continuity question? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

When I was an apprentice I worked with a guy who would always just downgrade the MCB from a 32a to 20a if he ever uncovered a open ring on a board change, I don't think he really understood the danger he was leaving behind, I think alot of 'sparks' do this,
Another one ive seen is moving two lighting circuits to the same RCD on a duel board to disguise a borrowed neutral.

I would say that until said spark has conclusively identified the location of the fault, and corrective work has been undertaken, the job is not complete, and the bill is increasing......

This is the most common fault in houses
@ Murdoch,you are right.
He is supposed to check the installation before changing the board (ECR)
And also after installing the new board to issue EIC after doing all the tests.
So is he going to note down the broken cpc on the cert?
Isn't it his job to make good the installation?

To be honest, if hes gone to the hassle of identifying where the break is, sorted 2 radials @16 and is part of NIC then it should be good.

Perhaps email asking if he split the ring so you have it in writing whats been done.
What ever he did should be entered on the certificate, he should have been issued with when the actual work/fault rectification was finished, the job would be complete once a cert had been issued.

@ Murdoch,you are right.
Supposed to check whether the existing equipment is fit for any additional load (not really applicable for a CU change), and that the installation earthing and bonding arrangements are adequate for whatever protective measures are to be used.

@ Murdoch,you are right.

Disagree with this - sure there are sites which I will insist on doing an EICR first but 19 out of 20 I will not ................. so uncovering unforeseen issues is something that ALL installers need to be aware of and also forewarn customers that addition costs may be incurred .......

In the case of this I wouldn't be issuing the EIC until the problem is resolved.

If the client won't pay .......... then a strongly worded note on the cert will be included.

Disagree with this - sure there are sites which I will insist on doing an EICR first but 19 out of 20 I will not ................. so uncovering unforeseen issues is something that ALL installers need to be aware of and also forewarn customers that addition costs may be incurred .......

In the case of this I wouldn't be issuing the EIC until the problem is resolved.

If the client won't pay .......... then a strongly worded note on the cert will be included.
Theoretically your right Mate, but if you do remedial work, that you find needs doing during the initial inspection, and it costs you say £40:00 and when you tell your client, He/She would be well within their rights to say, "I never asked you to do that, so I'm not paying" It's a difficult situation, my approach would be to do a few quick IR tests to ensure correct opperation of the replacement CU (no unwanted tripping from circuits that may not have been protected by an RCD) and issue an EIC to that effect, that's what you have been asked to do, so thats what you certify, by all means, if during the replacemnt you have noticed things that are not compliant, add this information either on the EIC or by a Letter given along with the cert. It would be their choice rightly or wrongly.

Theoretically your right Mate, but if you do remedial work, that you find needs doing during the initial inspection, and it costs you say £40:00 and when you tell your client, He/She would be well within their rights to say, "I never asked you to do that, so I'm not paying"

This is why I include this:

"NB : If problems are detected during the fuseboard change additional work may be required. Such issues and associated costs will be discussed with you, prior to being implemented"

On all fuseboard change quotes / estimates. Never been questioned about this, never had a problem on the rare occasions that issues are identified.

Anybody who doesn't caveat such quotes is leaving themselves open - which is probably a lot of people

This is why I include this:

"NB : If problems are detected during the fuseboard change additional work may be required. Such issues and associated costs will be discussed with you, prior to being implemented"

On all fuseboard change quotes / estimates. Never been questioned about this, never had a problem on the rare occasions that issues are identified.

Anybody who doesn't caveat such quotes is leaving themselves open - which is probably a lot of people
Seems a good approach.

Reply to Consumer unit upgraded - no earth continuity question? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net