Discuss Consumers Units in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
During a beer induced sleepless night, I began thinking about some of the pictures I had seen earlier on a different Forum, some were very tidy and some not. It got me thinking, how many of you guys cable tie the conductors together when connecting up the CU? not for me, but that's my choice.

The second thought is how many of you actually carry out dead tests prior to connecting up the CU? to avoid screwing up the nice tidy conductor dressing.

Thirdly I saw one unit with pictograms instead of actually writing on the unit, you know a picture of a lamp for lighting, a cooker for cooker circuit, I'd like to get some can anyone send me a link? or can you get them at the wholesalers?

Hi Pete

never cable tied - well not that I can remember, in the CU.

Always dead test...doesn't always screw up the tidy thing, some / half the tests can be done without much disruption as Im sure you know.

never seen the pictograms. Sound good. Best thing I have ever done (only twice!) was a laminated very detailed key to every circuit. Its was a big house over 4 floors and quite a tangle. Went back there last year after 5 odd years and I have to say I was heartened to see this detailed precise list of every circuit breaker.

Hi Pete

never cable tied - well not that I can remember, in the CU.

Always dead test...doesn't always screw up the tidy thing, some / half the tests can be done without much disruption as Im sure you know.

never seen the pictograms. Sound good. Best thing I have ever done (only twice!) was a laminated very detailed key to every circuit. Its was a big house over 4 floors and quite a tangle. Went back there last year after 5 odd years and I have to say I was heartened to see this detailed precise list of every circuit breaker.

Thanks mate have a nice Easter

Ive never cable tied. I have hundreds of the pic labels. They come with crabtree boards...or used to. Havent used them for a while.

Ive never cable tied. I have hundreds of the pic labels. They come with crabtree boards...or used to. Havent used them for a while.

Thanks Kate, was hoping someone would have a link, but never mind might try and knock some up myself

During a beer induced sleepless night, I began thinking about some of the pictures I had seen earlier on a different Forum, some were very tidy and some not. It got me thinking, how many of you guys cable tie the conductors together when connecting up the CU? not for me, but that's my choice.

The second thought is how many of you actually carry out dead tests prior to connecting up the CU? to avoid screwing up the nice tidy conductor dressing.

Thirdly I saw one unit with pictograms instead of actually writing on the unit, you know a picture of a lamp for lighting, a cooker for cooker circuit, I'd like to get some can anyone send me a link? or can you get them at the wholesalers?

No cable ties.
Dead tests as I'm dressing them in.
Hagar boards come with them.

I test as I'm changing the board as I'm there to change it anyway usually. Worst that can happen is I can put offending circuit on an or leave off until the following day as I tend to fit all rcbo boards now, dual rcd boards are outdated now in my opinion, and a pain if you have an intermittent fault!

Wylex boards come with pictograms

Global I/R test before i change the consumer unit, I never cable tie but just dress them neatly and dead test as i go. Take my dosh and straight down the boozer !!!!!

I never tie the cables together.
If I'm doing a board change then dead testing gets done before the old un is even off the wall.
If it's a new install I usually test before the cables are dressed in as I find it easier!

maybe it depends where you get them from but I've had them from western electrical,wilts and toolstation and they've always had the sheet of stickers in the box

I don't cable tie but saw it in iLight boards recently which looked very presentable. I try not to have too much slack in the board as it can make it awkward and less tidy, but try to leave some elsewhere for the next person. Testing can differ with each job, but agree IR plus others (not only dead) are sensible before stripping out. Another is checking appliances work. Am with spartykus in that it's not too disruptive when done, circuits are 'there' and R1+R2 is easier for radials. (of course, pre-testing should have been carried out prior!!!!)
Our wholesaler has given me sticker pack before but might not have been a stock item. Got some part used ones if you want them, obviously the 'usual suspects' (up/down sockets/lights etc) missing!

Last edited by a moderator:
I never tie the cables together.
If I'm doing a board change then dead testing gets done before the old un is even off the wall.
If it's a new install I usually test before the cables are dressed in as I find it easier!

Yep, agree there. If no pre-tests can be done (usually on an emergency board change for me) then I will get a high integrity board and dead test as I strip it down. If problems are found they are put on an MCB until I can get back and resolve (to get it on a RCD). I always forewarn of this possible issue arising.

I nearly always do thorough testing beforehand, but as Spartycus says dead tests can be done without much ruffling of the cables.

Never cable tie, and I too like the pictograms. Why not email Crabtree or Hager and see if they can send some out gratis? Say you are a loyal fan/customer!

Whilst I do like all RCBO boards and have fitted a few myself I think they are overkill a lot of the time. There's loads of installs I go back to a year or two later, and there is rarely issues with RCD's and nuisance tripping I find. Maybe I'm lucky!

Don't get too hung up on the little stickers, all you really need there is the numbers as you are going to fix a detailed circuit list at or near the board anyway in accordance with the regs.

I've never found a need for cable ties in little boards, but have found they help in bigger boards whilst working (A 24way TPN board full of SP circuits in 1.5 or 2.5 can get a bit unruly). Generally they can be removed once the board is finished though.

Like Dave ^^^, I'll occasionally use some ties during construction and then remove after.

1. never tie wrap in domestic but do it in industrial, commercial due to there being more cables/ plus the need to drill into the board for additional circuits in future.
2 dont use the pictograms
3. Always dead test before i dress them in
4. On domestic new installs i always draw an A4 sheet showing all socket points in numeric order, same with lights etc, always useful in future fault finding for me or the next guy, all this gets put in a plastic folder along with certs and of course the invoice.

Reply to Consumers Units in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net