Discuss cooker rating in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmaynard

Regular EF Member
i have just bought a range cooker that is dual fuel, its mostly gas but has an electric hob/warmer, in the specs it says the max load is 7.2kw but it has a plug top? i need to put a socket in for it but not sure if i can use the existing wiring and downrate the mcb?

Rob

Last edited:

SKY

Regular EF Member
Something does not ring true.
You cannot run 7300 watts on a 13a plug top.
This will need direct connection on a separate circuit.
Normally run in 6mm cable.

are you sure the plug top is not for the spark to light the gas?

OP
rmaynard

rmaynard

Regular EF Member
there is only a plug top, no plate for a fixed connection, the electrical side of it is only ignition and a small hob/plate heater so i would assume it doesnt pull much ampage, just referring to the literature that came with it says max load @ 230v 7.2 kw, which has me a bit confused

M

MarkieSparkie

What's the electrical rating stated on the cooker ratings plate/label? It's usually found on the back frame.

OP
rmaynard

rmaynard

Regular EF Member
guess it will work for however long it lasts, if it doesnt require a fixed connection then i guess it will be ok

ruston

Respected Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Is it possible that the user manual covers more than one model of your range and that they do a fully electrical version of it, and you have missed that bit in the instructions lol.

R

Rauer

I fitted a fully electric one once and iirc I had to connect 2 50a supplies to it!!!

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
agree witrh sedgy. the kWratring for the cooker will include the gas equivalent on kw like they do with your gas bill, convert cu m to kwatts so you can't understand it.

G

Guest55

if the appliance already comes fitted with a BS plug top from the manufacterer - then the power requirements have already been assessed for you.

OP
rmaynard

rmaynard

Regular EF Member
im not normally easily confused but the plug top coupled with the hot hob confused me a little

OP
rmaynard

rmaynard

Regular EF Member
No insult aimed or intended was just stating a fact
Your plugtop will power your hotplate and warmer that's all
didnt take it as an insult matey, think we all have days when we look at something and have brain lock :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.