Discuss Courses (newbie help) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

NATHYBOY

FIRSTLY ...Im sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, ..laptop is playing up and I cannot view the forum properly, what I can find tho and look through seems very well put together, so many thanks for all who contribute.

the help i need is probably what you guys hear everyday, I want to become an electrician (tried twice @ the college, once I was not contacted for interviews because my details were "lost" second time it was a monitoring issue,....which i found out a few months later meant that because i was British and there were already "enough" brits on the course, spaces were reserved for European "newcomers" who might have been interested when they got to the UK ((it sounds untrue, but its how it happened,...insane right ?)

I have my name down for a course (electronic technician) starting in september, ...... £1101 for each year

.....but I was considering going for the electrical installation (level 1, City and Guilds) £1400 for each year,...the cost is no issue because i can pay monthly...

what would you guys advise ?......id like to be able to earn good money as my wife, who i married in november is disabled, and I want to be a good provider ...not rich, just a good provider,...and working on a forklift is good pay, but constantly getting told how bad the business is doing whilst they earn 40-60% more proffit,...gets a bIt depressing ((no payrise for 5 yrs, redundancies always being spoken of etc....

what do you guys think of the options for the courses ?.......is 29 too late to start this ((i will be 30 by time courses start)

any and all info 1000% appreciated.....

many thanks

NATHYBOY

The prices you're quoting are huge, c&g 2357 is the main course but you'll need to be employed to get on it and not sure of the exact way they go about things as I done the old 2330 but I believe it's just level 3 and the nvq3.

Oh, and colleges should be charging 6-800 a year tops I would have thought.

Thanks for your reply Englishman, ...i know it seems costly to me too, but its got to be worth it.......

e-Course - Find a Course[year%3A+13%2F14-Full+Time]&v=bb

theres the course link, if you or anyone feels like looking at it and sharing thoughts, please do.....also what about the electronic technicians course, ..and being 30 going into this new field ??........any thoughts...

cheers Englishman..

Personally, I done the 2330, which was the three year course with another 6 months or so to complete the nvq3. The whole lot has now been replaced with the 2357 which includes the nvq3 but as I said, you have to be working for a firm to get onto the course.

As for your age, it isn't necessarily too old, the problem you would have is finding work for an actual firm though and surviving on the absolute **** money you'd be paid, there are firms who would take you on as cis self employed though due to you being cheap but it won't be easy. The biggest obstacle by far is going to be gaining site and job experience.

hi there are basically 2 ways to go about becoming a proper electrician.

1) city & guilds 2357 which is the apprentice route it is 3-4 years long, it was initially going to replace the 2330 but that didn't happen the 2357 you have to be employed in the industry as it incorporates the nvq 3 as well

2) city & guilds 2365 this is the new technical course that has replaced the 2330 course has a level 2 course and a level 3 course to do both these courses it will take about 3 years and you do not have to be employed to complete this course.

personally i would do the 2365 course i am on the 2357 in my second year but as with most trades it is hard to find apprentice/mate work,if i had to start again i would choose the 2365 as i believe this course is better for people who do not have full time employment in the electrical industry, i my self get bye by working temporary for agency's but it is not constant work and i am constantly looking for my next job.

2365 the way to go in my opinion

.......money that bad fora newbie is it,.....i only bring home 1100 a month now and going nowhere.........

again englishman, thanks for your input,....much appreciated

Thanks for your reply Englishman, ...i know it seems costly to me too, but its got to be worth it.......

e-Course - Find a Course[year%3A+13%2F14-Full+Time]&v=bb

theres the course link, if you or anyone feels like looking at it and sharing thoughts, please do.....also what about the electronic technicians course, ..and being 30 going into this new field ??........any thoughts...

cheers Englishman..

DO NOT do that course it is not a recognized electrical qualification it is just a taster course to see if you like it then you will have to do the proper 2357 or 2365 course, i did the level 1 and 2 performing engineering operations and paid 1500 for the course to find out it has no impact on being a electrician it was just basically a waste of time please do not do that course it is just a waste of money and time

No worries mate, I know how hard it can be getting started as I done it myself when I was doing another job. Done the 2330 and 2391 and got decent enough work, worked for a few who took advantage of my lack of experience but I was using them anyway, but now doing decent, well paid work. It can pay off mate, just gotta plug away and sometimes be lucky.

As for 2365, wasn't aware it existed tbh and was under the impression that the 2357 had replaced the 2330. I would personally go 2365 in same position as you, the nvq will help if you want decent money but is by no means crucial, depending on the work you want to do.

whoa!......see colleges hate me!!!....many thanks Baker1988!! seriously!!

your welcome as i said i did that course as i was told it was the starting point for being a electrician then when i finished asked where to go from here and they told me to apply for the 2330 first year and i said why first year i have just spent 2 days a week for a year doing this course to which he replied " this is just a taster course to see if you like it really it has no real effect on being a electrician the first year 2330 is where you start being a electrician" i couldn't believe it when he said that it was a year and £1500 down the drain don't get me wrong i did learn a few things about electrics but was not enough really, the first mate job i applied for i told them i had the performing engineering operations level 1 and 2 qualification and he basically laffed at me and said "is that a real qualification as i never heard of it, was it a online course" so yeah don't do it just start with the 2357 or the 2365

As for 2365, wasn't aware it existed tbh and was under the impression that the 2357 had replaced the 2330. I would personally go 2365 in same position as you, the nvq will help if you want decent money but is by no means crucial, depending on the work you want to do.

yeah the 2357 was suppose to replace the 2330 but just ended turning into the apprentice route the 2365 came in a few months ago and now that is basically replacing it, it is the same as the 2330 really its got a separate level 2 and 3 course then you do the 2357 nvq side if you want to that is, i wish i had do this course

Reply to Courses (newbie help) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net