Discuss Customer demanding lower socket heights in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Y

YTSOxford

I've a customer today that went right off into one when I started installing the sockets at 450. The house was a bungalow and has had a new roof put on it to make it a house, with 2 more upstairs bedrooms. I was always under the understanding that this sort of work is classified as a new build so should the sockets be 450??

Did ring the LABC and they were fine for the customer to have them at whatever height they want, but am in the process of getting registered through a scheme instead of the LABC route and I hear that its a no no with them in new rooms?

Thanks.

New builds dda heights, alteration to existing or new to existing =same as before or to want customer wants. My local building authority has agreed to many of these. if you have any worries just put in the installation cert then your covered (if really worried get customer to sign something)

Glorified extension mate.Instead of going out,they've gone up.Does the customer want them at the same height as the others.Just do them the same mate.Sorted:D

id agree. socket heights and switch heights can be changed for the disabled wheelchair users etc. so id see it as 450-1200 as recomended guidence only, and as said if ya worried id just make a note of height change for the reson of accessability or something.?

Have done a good 30 odd loft conversions in several areas with diffrent BI's and ive alwayse put them the same height as downstairs (or a good average of the existing ones) and havent had a problem yet!

Is this the one where by they can't be installed lower than the exsisting ones i.e not making them worse than whats there already??

Ian

I was testing refurbs yesterday and had to check out the boos about this same thing. have a read at the OSG Page 64 -7.5.1, P161- 8,6 , BRB REg 553.1.6 that should make ity clearer.

As obvious as it sounds new build is just that ie the entire building is new. Anything else (rewire, extra floor, loft conversion, conservatory) is as addition or extension so can be 'whatever' as long as no worse than what it was when you got there.

Thanks guy, I have just put them at the same height as the downstairs. Was just confused as I have worked on one similar to this before and for some reason they had it pinned as a new build! Thanks again!

The problem is it is hammered on about Part P of the building reqs relating to electrical work, so few think about the other regs and their implications ie. Parts L & M

Regards

Reply to Customer demanding lower socket heights in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net