Discuss definition of earth leakage in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

philsheriton

just need a quick simple description of earth leakage have changed aconsumer board from an old wylex rewireable (the shower fuse had been updated to an mcb)on this board shower runs ok however on the new board with mcb's covered by a thity ma rccd it trips have rulled out any problems with the rccd but when i dissconect the rccd the shower runs fine. this either indicates to me earth leakage or possibel other problems with the shower, in simple terms define earth leakage , can i do any thing to correct the problem or will the shower need th be updated cheers phil s

If the circuit tests ok with the shower disconnected then assume the shower is faulty common in old showers with element breakdown or water ingress, new shower in this case im afraid, earth leakage is a current flow to earth that shouldn't be there caused by (as mentioned above by brightspark) insulation breakdown or conductive foreign bodies or liquid creating a fault to earth.

What concerns me a weee bit is you have changed a consumer unit with a lack of basic understanding of fault currents. Should you be doing this work in the first place, your understanding of this issue is a must long before you start changing consumer units. Sorry to be blunt unless an apprentice then surely your supervisor should be guiding you on this issue.
Please correct me if im way of mark with my assumptions its just an impression you gave.

Last edited:

Reply to definition of earth leakage in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, There's 2 single fan ovens in the house my mother recently moved into. Posh elecronic AEG units. It's been sat empty for a year, so the...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've got a job where I'm installing dado trunking on the floor of an office for sockets and data. Some info on job - In total I will be...
Replies
Views
So a customer had a nuisance trip and I spent 4 hours trying to find the fault (first hour identifying circuits as none labelled at board). There...
Replies
Views
One of the oddest jobs I've ever had today. Called by a plumber I know who had attended after a leak through the kitchen ceiling from bathroom...
Replies
Views
Hopefully someone wiser than me can help explain some odd measurements I’ve taken at my own home. This is a long read, I’ve tried to give as much...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock