Discuss Distance between meter and cut out in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

as Glenn said "no", and as a general rule the meter fitter will normally fit them as close to the cut out as possible.

Meter tails to the CU need to be fused when over 3m as a rule but also bear in mind, standard tails offer no earthed mechanical protection so careful consideration needs to be given to the route.

Could anybody tell me if there is a maximum distance between the main head and meter?

thanks

You there Sir! Yes you!

About this long I believe

this long!.jpg

Basically I have a customer who has a 3 phase supply in the basement of a medium size building , she wants to split this into 3 single phase meters , 1 to stay in the basement and 2 to be sited 15-20 meters away in a communal area for 2 flats she is creating from a part of the building , the DNO don't seem to be able to answer the question and just keep sending me out paperwork for 2 new connections for the flats arghh

I think I'd be letting them decide if it involves meters and a service head as none of it is really your problem, tell them how you want it laid out and let them do the thinking.

Re DNO.......You have 1 x service cable in situ...that can be left in situ... 1 phase meter required. 2 x new supplies required for other flats.
2. DNO would like ALL 3 meters to be in one communal area and not too far into the building. Access 24/7 for all parties.
You mention the existing 3 Phase supply is in the cellar......Not up to todays standards.as below ground level, floods, smoke filled area etc,....Could chat to the DNO and ask them to move it re Health n safety etc. Come to some compromise, and get the DNO to visit you.

Reply to Distance between meter and cut out in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net