Discuss Does a 20amp emergency stop button exist? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sorry, but you are.
A training environment may well bring in added risks that are not there in the normal working environment.

I.e. In the work environment, if you are to be working on electrical systems you should have a good grasp of safe isolation and testing procedures.

In training, mistakes happen and the idea of an emergency stop is a good one.
however, if the training risk assessment relies on the fact that an instructor can kill the power if a danger appears and therefore reduces or removes that danger.
IT MUST HAVE A REALLY GOOD CHANCE OF WORKING CORRECTLEY!!

we do not know what the risk assessment is or how serious it may be if the emergency stop button fails to function when required so we should not be advising on how to do it.

What the OP asked for was :
I’ve been asked to provide an emergency stop button for a circuit rated at 20amps. I’ve never installed one before and only really found 10amp buttons at my local wholesaler. I can put a contactor in, no problem but was just interested to see if you can get them?

He asked for a 20 amp stop switch, that's it.

Sorry, but you are.
A training environment may well bring in added risks that are not there in the normal working environment.

I.e. In the work environment, if you are to be working on electrical systems you should have a good grasp of safe isolation and testing procedures.

In training, mistakes happen and the idea of an emergency stop is a good one.
however, if the training risk assessment relies on the fact that an instructor can kill the power if a danger appears and therefore reduces or removes that danger.
IT MUST HAVE A REALLY GOOD CHANCE OF WORKING CORRECTLEY!!

we do not know what the risk assessment is or how serious it may be if the emergency stop button fails to function when required so we should not be advising on how to do it.
j_arney said:
Appreciate all the info, but I just wanted to know if you could get a 20amp stop button. Do you know the answer to that?

Yes you can get an emergency stop button that is rated at 20A,
however by fitting it you run the risk of being in court for corporate manslaughter or a number of other nasty legal challenges to your freedom.

in my opinion, after re reading what i have posted, i think the advice is sound.
you are of course free to take it on board and use it or ignore it.

Yes you can get an emergency stop button that is rated at 20A,
however by fitting it you run the risk of being in court for corporate manslaughter or a number of other nasty legal challenges to your freedom.

in my opinion, after re reading what i have posted, i think the advice is sound.
you are of course free to take it on board and use it or ignore it.

You are being ridiculous, you have no idea what he's switching it, maybe a spa pump for instance.

He simply asked if they did a 20 amp stop switch, and you accused me of missing the point, when in fact it was you who missed the actual question.

You are being ridiculous, you have no idea what he's switching it, maybe a spa pump for instance.

He simply asked if they did a 20 amp stop switch, and you accused me of missing the point, when in fact it was you who missed the actual question.
Fair point, however I have never seen a training environment where the "training is wire up this spar pump"

like I said, if the risk assessment deems it suitable then go ahead but i think it is a vital step that both you and the op are missing.
OP, has anybody done a risk assessment and if so, what stop category are you trying to design. also, is a single point of failure likely to bring a risk of significant harm to anybody?

I am done with this for tonight and my final thoughts are Simpley that on the face of it neither @mainline or @j_arney have the information and knowledge required to design a suitable safety system for this project.

Fair point, however I have never seen a training environment where the "training is wire up this spar pump"

like I said, if the risk assessment deems it suitable then go ahead but i think it is a vital step that both you and the op are missing.
OP, has anybody done a risk assessment and if so, what stop category are you trying to design. also, is a single point of failure likely to bring a risk of significant harm to anybody?

I am done with this for tonight and my final thoughts are Simpley that on the face of it neither @mainline or @j_arney have the information and knowledge required to design a suitable safety system for this project.

You have no idea what the project is ... and you deem it that neither me or the op have the knowledge required ???

Are you for real or is it that you can't stand the fact that you were wrong.

I also take umbrage at you saying I lack the knowledge when you have no idea what my background is.

You have no idea what the project is ... and you deem it that neither me or the op have the knowledge required ???

Are you for real or is it that you can't stand the fact that you were wrong.

I also take umbrage at you saying I lack the knowledge when you have no idea what my background is.
As opposed to arguing the right and wrongs, what is your background.

Reply to Does a 20amp emergency stop button exist? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net