Discuss Domestic courses question, don't beat me. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I understand the frustration of you guys reading a common thread, I've read older posts but they didn't relate to me, it was all for people starting a new career not a practicing tradesman.
I will read the advice given and have a think.

@Enduro73 your welcome to message me if you want any info etc

I've never done a short course but I believe they were originally designed for trades people like yourself, If you work to a high standard then it may not be too much if a problem. What gets my back up is that lot of training providers abuse the course and mislead the trainees in to believing they are electricians, some people come out with wasted money, some just don't care and start rewiring peoples houses. Its like anything though, some are good, some are bad. Depends on the person.

You mentioned consumer unit upgrades on most of your kitchens......
In my opinion this is where you could become unstuck. If the wiring is old I personally always offer to install new circuits for a kitchen and add an additional CU. Just be aware that changing a Consumer unit make you responsible for everything connected to it so everything needs testing fully before undertaking these works, a dodgy circuit shouldn't be reconnected to a new consumer unit unless its safe, if you change the Consumer unit and then find a problem (missing earth/ tripping RCDs) than legally its down to you to rectify it.. For free !

Ah fair enough. Is that how you get round it, just an add on for the new circuit so as to not have to test the whole house?
The only pain I can see there is running in a new kitchen ring when the cu is at the opposite end of the house.
From memory we've only had an issue once and he had to tear the place apart to find the fault, skirting board nail

Not fully trained, but have started on 2365-2 in my "spare" time

Only want to do what I need for my kitchens, not interested in fully sparky
My two pennoth,,
From someone who got trained on one of these courses 8 yrs ago and now do most domestic sparks jobs - it takes a long time to get anything like fully clued up on how to tackle some of the cans of worms that emerge from doing a full installation/replacement CU. I am also technically sound as i am a qualified engineer with many years experience in the aerospace industry; it helps enormously if you understand some physics, maths and electrical theory, especially power and realise the dangers that can potentially unfold..
i would agree that if you are conscientious but want to stick with kitchen work then by all means do the course, they're not all bad, and your part P assessment but then just do the necessary sparks required for the kitchen, nothing else; if you need to run a new circuit for a kitchen then just do that, you don't need to replace everything else.. later on with some experience you may well want to branch out to expand if that attracts.. best of luck!

I will train you up for £3000 and put you in for a c&g exam at the end of the 3 weeks..
I’m sure there is plenty of electricians out there that would be happy to train you up for what you will be paying..

Actually, you could come and install my new kitchen and redo all my electrics at the same time.. I will supervise and educate at the same time and I will still only charge you £3000?

IMO you don’t need to be wasting your time and money on those short courses

I will train you up for £3000 and put you in for a c&g exam at the end of the 3 weeks..
I’m sure there is plenty of electricians out there that would be happy to train you up for what you will be paying..

Actually, you could come and install my new kitchen and redo all my electrics at the same time.. I will supervise and educate at the same time and I will still only charge you £3000?

IMO you don’t need to be wasting your time and money on those short courses
An offer to good to refuse. :)

Reply to Domestic courses question, don't beat me. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net