Discuss downlighters bathroom in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

soulman

-
Arms
Reaction score
hi still in my full time job but training to be a spark taking the long route so hopefully i,ll understand everything.
my question is bathroom downlights. i have a shower light ip65 and the other lights which are not in any zone are all ip44. they are all mains voltage. is it safer to use downlighters with a transformer or does it not matter if so why do they sell mains voltage. i have been looking into this for a few days now and nobody seems to be able to answer my question. also while looking around i found that b & q were seling a shower light rated at ip44. if it is o.k to use mains voltage does this circuit have to be rcd protected also could i just put the upstairs lighting over to the rcd side within the c.u.

thanks for any help

Special locations in the BRB.section 701.Reg 415.1.1 in the BRB states all circuits in special locations require additional protection by provision of a 30 mA RCD.So the answer to your question is,yes mate it does need to be RCD protected:)

can i just put the upstairs lighting circuit over to the rcd side then all upstairs lights are rcd protected.as i have a split board one side rcd cheers

can i just put the upstairs lighting circuit over to the rcd side then all upstairs lights are rcd protected.as i have a split board one side rcd cheers
Have you any spare ways on the RCD protected side.If not i would install an RCBO on the non RCD side.

Good advice given but you know, of course, that it`s notifiable :eek:

Sorry to be a partypooper...
If he swapping like for like it isn't notifiable.He isn't adding or extending.Sorry mate but the job will be notifiable as you have changed the protection for that circuit.Swapped the MCB to an RCBO.:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
To answer the other side of your question, Zones 1 & 2 (3 was removed under 17th Ed) require an IPX4. So the fittings are fine if used in conjunction with the other advice given above. Personally I prefer the light output of low voltage lighting as it is almost twice as much as mains voltage GU10, Also low voltage (12v) is SELV via the transformer making it safer than 240v.

Reply to downlighters bathroom in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net