Discuss Driving Licence - Trailer Category B1+E and C1+E in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I thought I would mention this (B1+E) as I just got turned away from a job today as I don't have my B1+E on my driving Licence.....anybody who did their driving test before January 1st 1997 is fine to tow a trailer (grandfather rights) and anybody else who did it after this date needs to do another driving test if they ever want to pull a trailer or a Caravan.....a lot of people could get into trouble(caught out unaware- then pummeled and banned from driving) with this one.......if they want to, the plod can pull over any driver towing a trailer or caravan and ask to see B1+E, if you don't have it you are now breaking the law.....I have seen and heard of people getting done recently for towing trailers, when they had been doing this for a few years, because they never had their Licence before the start of 1997......and people being pulled over and asked for it as they were towing another car with a length of rope.....apparently the Pol!ce do not like that very much at all... I did my driving test after 1997, and I knew about this new rule that came in a while back for towing using a car or a van, but I didn't bother with it as I have no real need for it, this is the first time I have ever been asked to show trailer entitlement, and I lost out on work because of that, but I won't be too worried about it this time as I don't own a trailer or a Caravan, and I can't see myself being asked to move materials in a trailer on very many other jobs.....I won't buy a trailer as I barely have space outside on the busy street to park a medium sized car, and no space for one, also I would end up getting continuously asked to shift rubbish to the tip or do house moving for people.....this happens all the time to my uncle since he bought a trailer..... I am not going to get this as I think I really wouldn't use it, but a few of you might want to look into this if you ever do any moving of trailers or caravans/boat trailers etc...either for work or personal use..... from what I gather just now they have discretion to ignore to a certain extent with a verbal warning, but after the start of January 2013 they will hit everybody hard, I wouldn't want anybody on here to get fined and banned after driving for years just for towing a trailer that they might have used for years, so you might want to go and do the extra test to get your licence updated... I got asked at an interview, and that put it into my mind again so that's why I am posting on here.... :smartass: :nono: :oops: :driving: :helmet: :policeman:

I have mixed feelings about this if I'm honest. Part of me says if someone gets caught out then it's their own fault for not looking at their licence, part says that messing about with entitlements shouldn't happen and it's just another way of screwing more money out of Joe public.Rround our way there's been a bit of a clampdown on pizza delivery guys, a lot of them are driving on social, domestic and pleasure policys when they should have business ones so the police are doing them for no insurance. Seems a bit harsh on a guy who would probably much rather be doing something else to earn a few quid but.....

If i remember right you can tow a small trailer without the extension but don't quote me on it :sweatdrop:

I'm not bitter at all, I wanted to sort out my C1 extension (3.5-7.5tonne vans) and found it would cost about ÂŁ1200. For a car+trailer about ÂŁ200. Normal licence also added up to thousands because I couldn't get on a parents insurance policy for provisional. 4 years later, insurance quotes are at around ~ÂŁ1200 for a old transit, and no 3rd party cover on other vehicles to drive somebody else's.

The associated costs of driving (before fuel) is crippling my/work's progress

If you think car/van licences are complicated, try getting a motorcycle licence these days, numerous tests and many ÂŁ100's.

and something I've heard on other forums, if you have to send your licence away for renewal/updating etc. make a photocopy or "lose" paper counterpart as some are returned with entitlements for some classes missing and you have to take the test(s) again!

I have mixed feelings about this if I'm honest. Part of me says if someone gets caught out then it's their own fault for not looking at their licence, part says that messing about with entitlements shouldn't happen and it's just another way of screwing more money out of Joe public.Rround our way there's been a bit of a clampdown on pizza delivery guys, a lot of them are driving on social, domestic and pleasure policys when they should have business ones so the police are doing them for no insurance. Seems a bit harsh on a guy who would probably much rather be doing something else to earn a few quid but.....

Pol!ce have also pulled over sparks driving around with step ladders in the back of the car and went over the insurance and registration because they saw the ladders through the windows on driving past....this will happen on the trailers thing as well.....
when somebody gets done for towing a trailer without the new extra B1+E category added/updated to their licence, they will see it as ..... Licence= not valid ....Insurance therefore= not valid and also road fund licence revoked (everything gets voided basically as the vehicle is classed as an object used in the commission of a crime) so you could find yourself being charged for driving without a valid driving licence, no insurance cover for the vehicle (voided by the declaration of void/invalid/no licence) and no road tax....
The way any court would look at this is open and shut- no driving licence, no road tax(voided by no insurance) no insurance policy......the only document that would still be valid would be the MOT...and they would probably scrutinise that as well anyway......they could ban you, fine you, and crush your wheels as well .....all because you did not know that your licence entitlement had been reduced basically behind your back......it is "up to you to find out and not for them to tell you" is the way that it will be, they won't go out to advertise the changes in licencing, but they will go out and wait on people to drive off pulling a trailer....

I have been told about people being pulled over with a trailer and the demands included seeing a permit to carry waste, which is what they referred to new building materials as being.....so it seems wise to top up the licence for towing as they will be looking more now...

HaHa , , , I knew there was an advantage to getting old(er), at long last there's something I can do that you can't legally!

BTW are you covered for steam powered road rollers?

My son is now 27, and no sign of an intended. I don't know whether to be glad or sad, "Grandfather" rights is one thing, but to be one!

I've no doubt Trev and a few others will put me right.

Being a granddad is great fun Tony, I get to play with the little dude every time he comes round to trash our place and then he goes home at some point:)

No one got that job then as there is no B1+E available on any UK licence so I assume you are talking about B+E. A B1 category vehicle would not be able to tow a trailer of any worth while size safely as they are limited to an unladen weight of no more than 550Kg

To be honest I would be wary of any company requiring you to tow trailers that does not have someone that is fully aware of the law especially where the Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) of the vehicle & trailer combination exceeds 3500Kg as you then are potentially moving into tachograph territory and drivers hours as there are few exemptions if it is part of your work as both you and the company would be fined

The C1+E category also has limitations (C1 vehicles weighing 3500Kg - 7500Kg) if you passed your test before 1997 you are limited to a MAM of 8250Kg but if you have taken a C1+E after Jan 1997 then you are limited to 12000Kg. Check the codes against your driving entitlements here Information codes on your driving licence : Directgov - Motoring this lists the restrictions for your licence categories

A few years ago a company I was working for hired a C1 category vehicle and the boss handed the keys to one of the lads who had a post Jan 1997 licence with no entitlement for C1 I took great delight in informing the boss that knew it all that he was asking one of his employees to break the law and in hiring the vehicle he was also breaking the law as the company did not have an appropriately qualified Transport Manager or someone acting on the companies behalf went on to list a number of other offences he may or ask others to commit. Couldn't believe the response I got for sticking my oar in, at least he did have the sense to make a few phone calls and found out I was correct

Where driving is concerned the law is a minefield the one where people need to be careful when driving for work is driving and working hours although not on tachograph if it can be found you have exceeded the drivers hours and had an accident then you could end up in court

Went to a VOSA seminar with a mate who is a transport manager a few years ago and one of the examples brought up regarding tachograph law was the towing of horse boxes if a parent tows their childs horse to an event if it is an event where the child could win a money prize then the vehicle has to have a tachograph fitted as this is classed as hire and reward

I would suggest to any one who tows or is asked to tow in the course of their employment make sure you are clued up on the law as the fines are usually in ?000's I know a few who have been done and vehicle overloading is another issue that get big fines

I was actually very happy they reviewed the trailer licensing requirements. How many caravanners dig out the wheeled aluminium box once a year, don't check it, connect it up and head out to cause carnage on the roads? The amount of dangerous trailers I've seen on the road only re-enforces the fact that they need to be tested annually for road safety.

I know some will disagree but as far as road safety goes they are steps in the right direction.

P.S. I've got everything apart from Cat D so don't really care... :lol:

I was actually very happy they reviewed the trailer licensing requirements. How many caravanners dig out the wheeled aluminium box once a year, don't check it, connect it up and head out to cause carnage on the roads? The amount of dangerous trailers I've seen on the road only re-enforces the fact that they need to be tested annually for road safety.

I know some will disagree but as far as road safety goes they are steps in the right direction.

While I agree with you on caravans that most hitch and go users go caravanning in blissful ignorance of the correct way to distribute weight to stop the outfit snaking, don't get the outfit serviced properly and numerous other issues there are other problems on the roads

Now they just need to review the motorcycle laws now and require a GPS speed restrictor on motorcycles to limit there speed to the road limits, the "Think Bike" signs annoy me when most of them far exceed the limits and expect other people to look out for them

It its sensible to change entitlements for safety but it should be informed.

at the age of 17 I went to a motor bike shop bought a 125 on credit. They gave me the keys and I drove out the shop. No lessons, no test. Straight onto the streets with my 70 mile an hour rocket. Lol things were a bit different back in the 80's.

Cornish small man.

Most caravanners and trailer users seem to miss they're not supposed to exceed 60 on dual carriageways and motorways as well

I'm all for road safety and better education (for example '4 wheel drive doesn't count for much with 4 bald tyres) but the costs (for me at least) are crippling to the point they're effecting business

Most caravanners and trailer users seem to miss they're not supposed to exceed 60 on dual carriageways and motorways as well

I'm all for road safety and better education (for example '4 wheel drive doesn't count for much with 4 bald tyres) but the costs (for me at least) are crippling to the point they're effecting business

I have a relative that lived for a while in Belgium, and over there its an MOT and an extra tax disk for each trailer and caravan, works out at about ÂŁ800-ÂŁ1000 a year more, hope they don't start doing it over here........they also have toll roads there, and also in switzerland......speeding in switzerland gets a fine of a years wages...

Reply to Driving Licence - Trailer Category B1+E and C1+E in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net