Discuss E.I.C.R rant by arti electrical in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Spoon

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
4 to 6 hours usually.

Is that how long it takes to just to do the tests or does that include paper work as well?
Next door neighbour is getting his tested next week.
Curious as to how long someone would be in the house just testing.

7029 dave

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Guy done gas inspection and EICR at my gf house she rents in approx 1hr ish 7 circuits.
Calculated the R1 R2 on the sockets, He did have his mate going round taking the measurements, whilst he was at the CU position recording on his tablet.

Dave OCD

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
That sounds like they only tested Dave, without taking any fittings off for inspection or anything like that ? And you'd have to access the ends of circuits such as lights, cooker, immersion heater and shower for RI &R2 measuring. Any idea what they charged for doing all that in around an hour ?

7029 dave

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
That sounds like they only tested Dave, without taking any fittings off for inspection or anything like that ? And you'd have to access the ends of circuits such as lights, cooker, immersion heater and shower for RI &R2 measuring. Any idea what they charged for doing all that in around an hour ?
2 ceiling roses were unscrewed per lighting circuit , cooker DP switch, and a couple of sockets, no switches were removed, It was not thorough by any means, no idea what he charged it was for her LL.

Doomed

-
Arms
Reaction score
If its empty its easier, two bed house today checked every light fitting and switch, all end of lines, both smokes and around 10 sockets 6 circuits in total, was done in 3 hours. After had a occupied smaller one bed place with 4 circuits took me longer.

We estimate 4 to 8 hours for an occupied house, 2 to 4 hours for an occupied flat and up to half that if empty.

(then you get the empty one bed flat with 8 day rate and 2 off peak circuits just to bugger you about)

Vortigern

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
to do the tests or does that include paper work
The whole thing, testing inspecting and cert. So first thing I do is inspect CU and Cut-out, then earthing then all fittings for damage and security of fixing. Check the physical tightness of bonding clamps and labels. Then remove fittings usually starting as 25%, more if there are signs of poor wiring like no earth on metal boxes, poorly wired sockets with no earth sleeving, remove electric shower cover and switch to check for thermal damage. Then the testing. Everything unplugged, noting neons for IR testing. Do ring final circuit tests. R1/R2 on every circuit, just attach L to earth bus bar for each circuit, use the plug device for sockets for R1/R2 this also ensures continuity of cpc and polarity. If present also check function of emergency lighting, not full three hour test though. I use my ipad as I go to note all test results and this forces me to do everything as I go. Last three bed I did was 6 hours. That house had a loft ladder so easy to inspect it quickly cables flopping all over the air space in there very poor wiring.

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
the one I had tested today had 6mm twin and earth being used for 2 circuits... one a ring and the other a radial for 3 sockets..... somehow the person who wired it managed to get both cables in the sockets tight.
It was the old style mk sockets.... would never work with the cheap new ones.

Reply to E.I.C.R rant by arti electrical in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.