Discuss Earth Voltage Problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DIYJO

I removed a double socket to do some plastering in my utility room. After putting insulating tape on the 2 live wires and 2 neutral wires I turned the circuit back on at the fuse to stop the freezer defrosting. As I was about to start plastering I went to tuck the wires out of the way and got a shock from the 2 exposed earth wires which had originally been fixed together in the back of the socket. I have felt 240v enough in the past to know that this shock was getting on for that amount. I tested it with a pocket meter and it came up as 170v. The washing machine and tumble drier were plugged into an adjacent twin socket, turned on at the mains but not at the appliance. After unplugging the drier the voltage in the earth wires dropped to 70v and swapping it so the washer was unplugged took it to 130v. With both plugged in it went back to 170.
I don't know if it is relevant or not, but during my investigations I discovered that there was continuity (buzzer setting on my newly re-found toy) between the Neutral and Earth on the whole house. Maybe I just learnt something or maybe there is something amiss?
Back to my main point. I discovered that the whole loop that serves the utility room had been wired so that the Live and Neutral came into the room (which has three sockets), went into a blanked off terminal block, round the sockets, back into different terminals in the terminal block, then out of the room again. However the Earth wires at the block all went into one terminal, including the one from the metal casing. Re-wiring it so that the Earth followed the Live and Neutral exactly i.e. 2 of the earths joined separately from the others made the voltage under the original conditions completely disappear.
My questions are:
1. Would it now be safe???
2. Where did the voltage come from?
3. Where did it go to?
4. Is it normal for the earth to connect to the neutral? (BTW This only occurs when the electric is on at the main fusebox but whether or not the fuses are tripped / out)
5. Surely 2 appliances cant both bee faulty to the point they're emitting a set amount of voltage constantly? Or can they? Are they designed to dump voltage to earth when they are on standby?
I need to get a real electrician to look at it properly but I would like to know for peace of mind and out of curiosity.

I removed a double socket to do some plastering in my utility room. After putting insulating tape on the 2 live wires and 2 neutral wires I turned the circuit back on at the fuse to stop the freezer defrosting. As I was about to start plastering I went to tuck the wires out of the way and got a shock from the 2 exposed earth wires which had originally been fixed together in the back of the socket. I have felt 240v enough in the past to know that this shock was getting on for that amount. I tested it with a pocket meter and it came up as 170v. The washing machine and tumble drier were plugged into an adjacent twin socket, turned on at the mains but not at the appliance. After unplugging the drier the voltage in the earth wires dropped to 70v and swapping it so the washer was unplugged took it to 130v. With both plugged in it went back to 170.
I don't know if it is relevant or not, but during my investigations I discovered that there was continuity (buzzer setting on my newly re-found toy) between the Neutral and Earth on the whole house. Maybe I just learnt something or maybe there is something amiss?
Back to my main point. I discovered that the whole loop that serves the utility room had been wired so that the Live and Neutral came into the room (which has three sockets), went into a blanked off terminal block, round the sockets, back into different terminals in the terminal block, then out of the room again. However the Earth wires at the block all went into one terminal, including the one from the metal casing. Re-wiring it so that the Earth followed the Live and Neutral exactly i.e. 2 of the earths joined separately from the others made the voltage under the original conditions completely disappear.
My questions are:
1. Would it now be safe???
2. Where did the voltage come from?
3. Where did it go to?
4. Is it normal for the earth to connect to the neutral? (BTW This only occurs when the electric is on at the main fusebox but whether or not the fuses are tripped / out)
5. Surely 2 appliances cant both bee faulty to the point they're emitting a set amount of voltage constantly? Or can they? Are they designed to dump voltage to earth when they are on standby?
I need to get a real electrician to look at it properly but I would like to know for peace of mind and out of curiosity.
go away..

Sorry, I understood this to be an electrical advice forum. I will try elsewhere.

Yes, advice from electricians to electricians :p Not really where you advise diyers how to do the trade you've spent many many many years training to get into :)

In other words, ring an electrician in the morning!! :)

Yes, advice from electricians to electricians :p Not really where you advise diyers how to do the trade you've spent many many many years training to get into :)

In other words, ring an electrician in the morning!! :)
yeah...but it isn`t just that is it.....
read his post again....then you`l know why i told him to go away....
they are just so dangerous these guys...

Don't be offended fella but the five questions you have asked confirm you need to get someone in who knows the answers already.As informed,you will up against half the folk whos trade you are squeezing and half who are wise enough not to hand out advice that could lead to endangerment.Get a good spark in and remember that however much i wanted to help during my childrens birth,i left it to the midwife....good luck:yes:

My questions are:
1. Would it now be safe???Not possible to tell without proper testing with the correct meters.....
2. Where did the voltage come from?As above.
3. Where did it go to?As above
4. Is it normal for the earth to connect to the neutral? (BTW This only occurs when the electric is on at the main fusebox but whether or not the fuses are tripped / out)N and earth are or should be at the same potential.
5. Surely 2 appliances cant both bee faulty to the point they're emitting a set amount of voltage constantly? Or can they? See answer to no 1Are they designed to dump voltage to earth when they are on standby?No
I need to get a real electrician to look at it properly but I would like to know for peace of mind and out of curiosity.you got a shock....you could be dead...dont fiddle with it any more!

To be fair to the OP he's already said he's getting a spark in. Nothing wrong with wanting to find things out for interest. He'll not be the first one to remove accessories before decorating - nothing wrong with that. At least he insulated the wires. Tin hat prepared :) Daz

go away..

Whilst I understand and get why you responded in that way, surely a more helpful and friendly response would have been along the lines of;

"Without physically testing your installation ourselves it would be potentially dangerous and unwise for anyone here to hand out advise when it is clear that you require the attendance of a competent electrician to resolve this problem for you. If you tell us where you live then perhaps someone on the forum could be the electrician you call so you can be sure of their competence. "

Whilst I understand and get why you responded in that way, surely a more helpful and friendly response would have been along the lines of;

"Without physically testing your installation ourselves it would be potentially dangerous and unwise for anyone here to hand out advise when it is clear that you require the attendance of a competent electrician to resolve this problem for you. If you tell us where you live then perhaps someone on the forum could be the electrician you call so you can be sure of their competence. "
i`m fed up with typing it out....
now i just go short n swift when i read down right dangerous stuff like the O/P

@DIYJO.... you clearly have shown the your lack of respect for electricity not only did you receive a shock but relate to many other occasions that you have had a shock ....do you realise electricity kills and the fact you are still with us is just more luck than judgement, we ourselves would be using our testers at many key stages in doing what you did as we respect the danger electricity poses, im gobsmacked in you casual attitude to receiving numerous belts over the years ...I assume you love your family and friends and if so don't be stupid to undertake work you are clearly not showing competence to do, leaving the socket power off and running an extension to the fridge would have been a wise option especially for a job where your waving a trowel of wet plaster across a live!!! joint. Use your head and don't work around live exposed live joints regardless of whether you have tapped it up.... Its clear you may have electrical issues here whether it be a poor earth or other problems but as you now know it may be safer to power the circuit down and make other arrangements for the fridge while you get a pro' in to ensure yours and your families safety... it may functionally work but under fault conditions it could cost someones life.

Reply to Earth Voltage Problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net