Discuss EICR today Mains smoke detectors interlinked in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Good evening all
3 buildings :
1 Gf flat and 1St fl flat year 1915
2nd 6 flats year 1980
3rd cottage year 1900
They are separate buildings probabley 2in between them, 1 landlord owns all,
I ve done EICR on 1st building and 1 flat in 2nd building and found that the mains smoke detectors are interlinked hard wired between buildings no local isolation in buildings and not come across the power source that supplies them.
? What code
? Am I going mad is this allowed

I'm still trying to get my head around the statement that there is only 2in between the buildings?

I'm still trying to get my head around the statement that there is only 2in between the buildings?
Op, do you mean there are Aico hard wired and interlinked smoke alarms in a house that is now two flats, and then a few doors down the street with neighbours in between, there is another house converted into flats with smoke alarms on the same circuit? And you do not know what house even powers this circuit?

Just to a extra point to say separate buildings and cannot see how and where the cables go from building to building as the floor and roof levels are are different heights.

Op, do you mean there are Aico hard wired and interlinked smoke alarms in a house that is now two flats, and then a few doors down the street with neighbours in between, there is another house converted into flats with smoke alarms on the same circuit? And you do not know what house even powers this circuit?
3 buildings next to each other nobody in between and yes to rest

If it’s tested out fine. It’s safe for continued use. No code.
possible an observation only, but bs7671 doesn’t care if there interlinked or not. It doesn’t care if the smokes don’t work. It’s the hard wiring and safety your ascertaining.

If it’s tested out fine. It’s safe for continued use. No code.
possible an observation only, but bs7671 doesn’t care if there interlinked or not. It doesn’t care if the smokes don’t work. It’s the hard wiring and safety your ascertaining.
But does bs7671 have anything to say about a circuit running through several properties (regardless of what equipment it is supplying)? I think that is the original question rather than whether or not the smokes were interlinked and working.

Seems strange that except for the requirement of notice's of alternative supplies and where to isolate them, I can't find anything that would mean it was against regulations, your challenge for the rest of the week-end is to prove or diss-prove this, off you go, my OH has just opened a bottle of red.?

thanks all for response, have already put on the ecir F/I and alternate supply to cover myself on the 4 flats already done, update further if I do come across the supply at moment loop impedance taken from each smokeand noted on each cert. thanks again

Be interested to know if there's different phases in each building. Might be a way to work out which building actually feeds them

Reply to EICR today Mains smoke detectors interlinked in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock