Discuss EICR today Mains smoke detectors interlinked in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Good evening all
3 buildings :
1 Gf flat and 1St fl flat year 1915
2nd 6 flats year 1980
3rd cottage year 1900
They are separate buildings probabley 2in between them, 1 landlord owns all,
I ve done EICR on 1st building and 1 flat in 2nd building and found that the mains smoke detectors are interlinked hard wired between buildings no local isolation in buildings and not come across the power source that supplies them.
? What code
? Am I going mad is this allowed

Good evening all
3 buildings :
1 Gf flat and 1St fl flat year 1915
2nd 6 flats year 1980
3rd cottage year 1900
They are separate buildings probabley 2in between them, 1 landlord owns all,
I ve done EICR on 1st building and 1 flat in 2nd building and found that the mains smoke detectors are interlinked hard wired between buildings no local isolation in buildings and not come across the power source that supplies them.
? What code
? Am I going mad is this allowed
Most interesting question.
From a safety point of view, if all detectors have battery backup and all are tested, then other than evacuating buildings unnecessarily, it must be safe as everyone is warned.

the danger of false alarms over tcausing people to ignore the real one may be a risk.

The interlinking is presumably an output rather than the mains powering, and so would be considered a data signal rather than mains electricity.

this would mean that this would be similar to a factory fire system where the factory has several buildings. Systems quite commonly had 2 levels - your building is on fire and your building is not on fire but somewhere else locally is.

So I personally don’t think it is a problem.

Having worked in an explosive factory for many years, we preferred to know if any building was on fire.

The aico system uses unique encoding system to prevent detectors firing (pairing system) but obviously other systems might not.

they may be 10 year lithium battery units.

these are recommended in Scotland by law as well as mains powered.

If the smoke alarms are powered from a different supply to the building they are in, then there should at least be warning notices that there is more than one source of supply.
Though I don't see the purpose or reasoning behind having smoke alarms interlinked between separate buildings.
Further investigation would be beneficial.

The aico system uses unique encoding system to prevent detectors firing (pairing system) but obviously other systems might not.

they may be 10 year lithium battery units.

these are recommended in Scotland by law as well as mains powered.
Did the aico expert install training today, was good.

Thing to note about radiolink, they will retain the factory setting unless changed, meaning if Mrs miggins radio alarm goes off 3 doors down and you both have the misfortune of radiolinking with only default settings, turn it can trigger either household alarm if one goes off in a different house.

Waiting on the trainer materials to expand on this, soon as I get them I'll share them here.

Yes. Aico have “house coding” to match them up within a house, but if that hasn’t been done....

just drop down a couple of heads to see if they are RL. They’ll have an additional module fitted with a short white antennae wire. Or the base has been changed. Will have a blue(?) led on side and the house code button.

or count the cables that are connected in the base for interconnect wire.

If the smoke alarms are powered from a different supply to the building they are in, then there should at least be warning notices that there is more than one source of supply.
Though I don't see the purpose or reasoning behind having smoke alarms interlinked between separate buildings.
The advantage of sharing the alarm would be if an occupant was elderly or in poor health then telling the neighbours might be a very good thing.

The fundamental principle behind fire detection is all about early warning. By not interconnecting, you're not making use of the early warning that interlinking can provide.

The principle works the same in buildings on the same site. If you've ever been to a large site (hospital is the best example) then you'll likely hear 2 alarms, 1 for fire in the immediate area (get out now) and 1 for fire in adjacent areas (prepare to evacuate). Obviously in domestic systems we don't have the dual tone (for fire) but the fundamental principle is the same; early warning.

Personally I would interlink and educate the user. You coul use a -1 system in place of -6 if you wanted the 2 tone function found on -1 systems.

The fundamental principle behind fire detection is all about early warning. By not interconnecting, you're not making use of the early warning that interlinking can provide.

The principle works the same in buildings on the same site. If you've ever been to a large site (hospital is the best example) then you'll likely hear 2 alarms, 1 for fire in the immediate area (get out now) and 1 for fire in adjacent areas (prepare to evacuate). Obviously in domestic systems we don't have the dual tone (for fire) but the fundamental principle is the same; early warning.

Personally I would interlink and educate the user. You coul use a -1 system in place of -6 if you wanted the 2 tone function found on -1 systems.
I appreciate this principle. But in this situation, it is stated that the flats are self contained and independent from each other, other than being owned by the same landlord.
It would be like me and my neighbour, and his neighbour 2 doors down, all having interlinked smoke alarms. All supplied electrically from my house.
At least that's what I understood from the OP.

I appreciate this principle. But in this situation, it is stated that the flats are self contained and independent from each other, other than being owned by the same landlord.
It would be like me and my neighbour, and his neighbour 2 doors down, all having interlinked smoke alarms. All supplied electrically from my house.
At least that's what I understood from the OP.
Fair point, what would does the FRA say? Communal areas should be on a -1 system with Sounders near each flat in any case, so you could make use of that extending into each flat with 2 sounds (immediate evac or prep to evac).

Other factors may come into play with the occupants (elderly, hard of hearing) with may favour linking all alarms.

Alarm system should come from the communal supply in a HMO/Shared building at any rate.

Interlinked smoke alarms don’t necessarily have one source of supply. My sensors are powered from two separate circuits off the CU and law in Scotland allows mains powered and lithium 10 year battery detectors to be interconnected.

The recent law insists that all detectors within a house are interlinked.

Last edited:
Not sure what the laws are down south but up here as long as they're interlinked you don't need a permanent feed, just 10yr lithum-ion battery.
Radio interlink also works under the Scottish rules

This is a very interesting discussion about the interlinking of different types of alarms but I think the OP's query was more to do with having the same circuit running through several properties. I had a similar thread a while ago although it was to do with external lighting in a commercial situation. Most of the advice on here was to fit labels in all of the properties which the circuit was present in stating where to isolate it.

This is a very interesting discussion about the interlinking of different types of alarms but I think the OP's query was more to do with having the same circuit running through several properties. I had a similar thread a while ago although it was to do with external lighting in a commercial situation. Most of the advice on here was to fit labels in all of the properties which the circuit was present in stating where to isolate it.
As I said in my post number 7.
Perhaps the OP could chime in to help with some clarification...

Thank you, this is the case. Person in one flat told me they ignore it and put it down to false alarm , not knowing that all buildings are interlinked just find it mad, if 24v fire alarm system would not question it but mains really.
Thanks for all the replies stevie g

Reply to EICR today Mains smoke detectors interlinked in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock