Discuss Electric hook up point for my narrowboat in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

ElectricVirgin

Hello everyone!
Ive joined here in the hope of getting some helpful advice!
I live on a narrowboat and have no 240v power. Getting an electric hook up point could be an option but I know literally nothing about electric (except that I like it!).
The electric box which would supply the power is 450m away from my boat. I realise voltage drop could be an issue at this point. The cable would need to be armoured and as I understand it xlpe insulated armoured cable has less resistance and therefore less voltage drop than pvc insulated?
What I really want to know is, is it possible? What size armoured cable will I need? The biggest thing I need to run is a 1200w washing machine (not taking into account start up peak) but I'd rather have comfortably enough in case I ever need to run anything larger wattage.
Many thanks for your anticipated help!
Sabrina

Hi Sabrina, I really think you would need this job properly assessed by an electrician.

450m is a hell of a long way!, it's going to cost you a fortune! :-(, one of the lads on here should be able to take a look at it for you!

To give you a very rough idea, if you limited your maximum demand to 40A max, you would need 95mm2 cable. That is massively expensive and would be hell to pull in, and most likely around £10k just in cable, probably easier to find a new mooring :)

Who owns the 450m of land? It's not a good idea to run power over private or common land.

Whats that new technology just coming on the market that could be useful for this application. Wireless electricity but not sure over what range the signal beams ....... I'll check with Scotty next time he's on.

Ahh, that's what I thought.
The 450m of land belongs to the mooring owner who has given permission.

There is an unlikely chance of swapping moorings with a friend, this would mean I was 250m from the supply. I forgot to mention I was thinking of limiting the supply to 13A.

How much more do-able would this make it in terms of cable size etc?
Before I spend out too much money, I would have the job assessed by a local electrician, I just wanted to know a few details to see if doing it at all would be feasible.

Many thanks for your help,
Sabrina

Sabrina. Are you the only mooring looking for power? If so this could be a rather expensive option as you'll need to find a very long deep trench. Maybe you should sees if the mooring owner and your fellow boat owners want to have more hook ups, then at the least you could share the cost.

Maybe get a local spark to come and have a look and maybe give you some ball park prices. The supply end may also need changes too to incorporate the new circuits

Hope this helps.

Just as a ready reference I calculated this approximate table that shows the likely size of cable you would need for different maximum currents and the two possible distances, the cross sectional area of the cable is in mm²

This is only a theoretical apocrypha to meet one aspect of the regulations (volt drop over distance) and there could be many other factors affecting the cable choice.
Including lightingPower only
Csa of cableDistance (m)Csa of cableDistance (m)
Current (A)450250Current (A)450250
35>9570357035
40>9570409550
45>9595459550

Reply to Electric hook up point for my narrowboat in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net