Discuss electrical drawings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

charsam

Hi all. I've been asked to do an as done drawing for a rewire of an office block of 2 floors. Thought it would be easy but I haven't got a clue with computers. No idea where to start. Anybody help?

This may not be as easy as you may well imagine, I ask for the drawing of the building from the architect or builder on a CD in auto cad. Then stick it into the computer and it can then have electrical sybols installed on it in the areas you have put the actual electrical points. However as you are not at that level you could attempt to do it yourself with a cheap and cheerful Drawing software application, I thought I saw someone recently show a free version somewhere, Hopefully they may chip in later and help you out.

I have been using Microsoft Visio , for surveying purposes for a company I'm working for , so its preloaded on a laptop they have supplied , It shows up under Microsoft word , if you have word see if its there if not you may have to upgrade,,

i've got visio and it's avery good cad program, if it were not for it using bloody american symbols.

As Fitted drawings are nearly always requested on commercial installs, and Autocad is the standard.....Its a good idea to look for night courses in your local college, as this will always put you in front on industrial and commercial jobs, and help you tender for projects. Takes a few years to get there, but its worth it.

no good for me then. i ain't got a few years left. lol.

and the rotring 0.3mm nib drawing pen. happy days.

remember in the early 80`s, they put a 285 computer with 500k of ram in our drawing office, and demonstrated autocad. On this green screen you had to plot x & y to draw a line....we all laughed, and said we could draw it quicker, and could never see this taking off....How times change...!!

back then, though, tazz, software was the cushion you were sitting on.

Must admit, I can still draw faster than autocad, never used it personally, usually get a mate to help.
If I was still in my early 40's it might prove worth it.

Professionals use auto Cad, the best out there by a mile, the disadvantage is the cost, you wouldn't believe me if I told you how much it is lol

remember in the early 80`s, they put a 285 computer with 500k of ram in our drawing office, and demonstrated autocad. On this green screen you had to plot x & y to draw a line....we all laughed, and said we could draw it quicker, and could never see this taking off....How times change...!!

A lot more advanced now. My pc has 16gb ram in it for example

Must admit, I can still draw faster than autocad, never used it personally, usually get a mate to help.
If I was still in my early 40's it might prove worth it.
With standard features like copy & paste, it can save hours.....a simple thing like a socket symbol, can be repeatedly pasted, were on a drawing board, would have to draw every socket.

I know it's dear......how much at pres, then ?
Depends on whether you get monthly updates and support or not, however expect a 2k hole in your pocket for the top version and then monthly payments can be added if you use it a lot and like support.

Possible want you to buy there all dancing top package...lol.....A few other points to remember, all version can saved or converted to work with older software versions, so you just asked the designer to email the drawings in your version....he`s done all the donkey work, cading the building....you just cad in your electrical design on the electrical layer, the re submit it for approval.

i've got visio and it's avery good cad program, if it were not for it using bloody american symbols.

As Fitted drawings are nearly always requested on commercial installs, and Autocad is the standard.....

Visio can save as AutoCAD compliant file formats such as dwg and dxf etc. I also use Visio unless the drawing is sufficiently complex to warrant using AutoCAD. Visio is very quick because it's shapes based.

Tel, you can draw your own items, components and symbols that are compliant with the British Standards and save them on a shapes template for future use.

Were As Installed drawings specified? Did you price for them? Tell the client that they will be extra. Have you tried any freelance CAD draughtsman. They should be able to CAD it for you if you over mark a drawing and then get the Architect to send over the drawing in electronic format to your CAD man.

Visio can save as AutoCAD compliant file formats such as dwg and dxf etc. I also use Visio unless the drawing is sufficiently complex to warrant using AutoCAD. Visio is very quick because it's shapes based.

Tel, you can draw your own items, components and symbols that are compliant with the British Standards and save them on a shapes template for future use.

This is exactly what has been done on this in house set up I have , thats all pre loaded , The company even send over new items as required
via e mail , so if someone has visio then shapes can be exchanged on windows format of course .

Go to college for the design course then you can get the student version for free by using your college email address

On adobe's website.

I got 3ds max while I did my 2330

Aye, sure thing. Are they still doing the C&G C Certificate, does anybody know :computer: lol!

Visio can save as AutoCAD compliant file formats such as dwg and dxf etc. I also use Visio unless the drawing is sufficiently complex to warrant using AutoCAD. Visio is very quick because it's shapes based.Tel, you can draw your own items, components and symbols that are compliant with the British Standards and save them on a shapes template for future use.
have to have a look at that, marvo. thanks.

Can see the the quick pros of visio...but in the industrial world....we need to forward our submitted drawings in layered Auto cad...this is what our construction companies require......if you can not do this...the professional company get the tender....

Now this is useful for me. Autocad I understand is expensive and complicated, Whereas Visio I am OK with. So i could use Visio and save in an Autocad format for my customers who insist on Autocad.

Without starting a software rival.....can explain that a tender is usually emailed in autocad format.....and each layer is a dissapline ...so iff all layers are turned on ...it shows everything...electrical , plumbing layout....now this drawing can now be edited by you, in the layer required, and submitted as your proposed, design and quote for this project. If you grasp autocad this will make difference between domestic and industrial installations

Reply to electrical drawings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net