Discuss Electrical Engineering Graduate in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

christowilso

i'm due to complete a degree in Electrical power engineering in May this year and wondering what would be the best way to get qualified as an electrician?

For obvious reasons I'm pretty well versed in electrical installation techniques and could complete most if not all domestic electrical tasks with no problems but I'm not qualified to do so.

Any help much appreciated.

i completed a subject called electrical installation skills which covered socket and lighting installation s well as 3phase motor control circuit which i believe is part of the testing apprentices complete. Hoping its not to much more to do.

Its just something id like to do. I'm hoping to land a gradate job soon enough but i love the hands on stuff too which i won't be involved in much if at all when i move into a grad position. I'm 35 this year so was a relatively late starter in the industry and just feel that it can't hurt to gain this extra knowledge. I've been thinking about contacting a few local companies to see if they'd be interested in helping me get this done?

i'm due to complete a degree in Electrical power engineering in May this year and wondering what would be the best way to get qualified as an electrician?

For obvious reasons I'm pretty well versed in electrical installation techniques and could complete most if not all domestic electrical tasks with no problems but I'm not qualified to do so.

Any help much appreciated.

I've got an Electrical Engineering degree and while it does give you a major head start, I wouldn't be thinking that you know it all and are ready to put signs on a van and crack on. I'm not implying that you are thinking that by the way, I'm just saying don't, sort of thing, would be my advice anyway.

So you have, or will have (hopefully) a level 6 Power Engineering Degree and you want to go to work on domestic installations?? ....Right, pull the other leg it's got bells on!!!

you should be aiming for the scottish power /SSE/ ABB, Balfour beatty type outfits with a degree like that.
not the cut n thrust of general contracting I'm afraid
my laddie has a degree in power distribution.
clever lad and involved in serious tackle at his work.
his greeting faced mother was at me to change the sockets in the kitchen for some nice new satin chrome ones.
i did 6 to his 2 and i had to go and finish his 2nd off!
he could tell me the earthing arrangements on primary substation though so i let him off.
my point being there is far sexier electrics than putting sockets on in a kitchen but you need experience to do that kitchen work efficiently and in timely fashion.
best of british with the job hunt

So you have, or will have (hopefully) a level 6 Power Engineering Degree and you want to go to work on domestic installations?? ....Right, pull the other leg it's got bells on!!!
I have a concern that my age will play a part in me finding a graduate position and feel that gaining install skills will allow for a different path should things not work out.

you should be aiming for the scottish power /SSE/ ABB, Balfour beatty type outfits with a degree like that.
not the cut n thrust of general contracting I'm afraid
my laddie has a degree in power distribution.
clever lad and involved in serious tackle at his work.
his greeting faced mother was at me to change the sockets in the kitchen for some nice new satin chrome ones.
i did 6 to his 2 and i had to go and finish his 2nd off!
he could tell me the earthing arrangements on primary substation though so i let him off.
my point being there is far sexier electrics than putting sockets on in a kitchen but you need experience to do that kitchen work efficiently and in timely fashion.
best of british with the job hunt
I have my hat in the fire for positions with most of those companies (waiting to hear back from EDF). I know the path I'm trying to take and i will deffo have my degree in May but even if i chose to work in a position offshore i would want something i can do on my time off.

I appreciate the advice. I suppose my real question is, would a company work with me in attaining the necessary skills and certificate?

I have my hat in the fire for positions with most of those companies (waiting to hear back from EDF). I know the path I'm trying to take and i will deffo have my degree in May but even if i chose to work in a position offshore i would want something i can do on my time off.

I appreciate the advice. I suppose my real question is, would a company work with me in attaining the necessary skills and certificate?
to be honest with you chris i don't think any firm will put you through your time as an electrician unless they are getting something out of it.
in scotland there is NO short course to a domestic installer /electrician lite career.
i would phone SELECT in edinburgh and ask for the SJIB ( they are in the same building on the bush estate) department.
They deal with all the grading of electrical operatives from apprentices to technicians
they would advise you better than me of what route to take

to be honest with you chris i don't think any firm will put you through your time as an electrician unless they are getting something out of it.
in scotland there is NO short course to a domestic installer /electrician lite career.
i would phone SELECT in edinburgh and ask for the SJIB ( they are in the same building on the bush estate) department.
They deal with all the grading of electrical operatives from apprentices to technicians
they would advise you better than me of what route to take
Thanks, i'll give them a call tomorrow. I was thinking i would maybe be an asset that is willing to work for a small salary as I'm free over the summer anyway.

You should be more concerned with finding a company that will help you attain membership of a recognised institution (eg, IET) and on to gaining Chartership status!! You won't, or shouldn't need to subsidise your earnings then.... A Power Engineer without his Chartership isn't going to get very far in the power Industry!!

Basically, you're looking for a holiday job to tide you over until the proper work comes through! :)
What I'm trying to do is ensure i have a path to move forward should i not get a graduate position straight away. But yeah i suppose you're right and by that i suppose theres also little in it for any company to take a chance on me doing one as soon as a better position comes up. I'm willing to fund any necessary courses myself so its just more then hands on stuff i need assistance with.

You should be more concerned with finding a company that will help you attain membership of a recognised institution (eg, IET) and on to gaining Chartership status!! You won't, or shouldn't need to subsidise your earnings then.... A Power Engineer without his Chartership isn't going to get very far in the power Industry!!
I'm already a student member of IET and the course I'm doing is accredited by them so i hope to find a suitable position to progress down that route. What i'm also hoping to do though is gain installation skills, if nothing else those whom i currently study with who are electricians tend to find a gradate job with ease by comparison.

I'm already a student member of IET and the course I'm doing is accredited by them so i hope to find a suitable position to progress down that route. What i'm also hoping to do though is gain installation skills, if nothing else those whom i currently study with who are electricians tend to find a gradate job with ease by comparison.

Well you stand no chance of becoming an electrician between now and May, ....or even until the end of the year. You're looking at a min of 2 years or more... So what are you going to do??

Reply to Electrical Engineering Graduate in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net