Discuss Electrical Engineering Graduate in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Well you stand no chance of becoming an electrician between now and May, ....or even until the end of the year. You're looking at a min of 2 years or more... So what are you going to do??
You seem somewhat perplexed maybe even annoyed that i've had the audacity to ask a question? I think what i'll chose to do in the first instance is to disregard your aggressive tone and assume your somehow trying to help? After that i'm going take the good advice someone else provided and see where it takes me. If you feel like getting off the high horse you're on and have anything else constructive to add then feel free.

Last edited by a moderator:
You seem somewhat perplexed maybe even annoyed that i've had the audacity to ask a question? I think what i'll chose to do in the first instance is to disregard your aggressive tone and assume your somehow trying to help? After that i'm going take the good advice someone else provided and see where it takes me. If you feel like getting off the high horse your on and have anything else constructive to add then feel free.

You're basically being told not to waste a couple of your mid life years piddling about as an apprentice/learner. Go for your main target.
You state your age....unless I've missed something, this indicates previous employment... or have you been a student for the period in question?

Aggressive?? You'd soon know if i was being aggressive!!

Just for your information sport, Having experience in Domestic work will get you absolutly nowhere in the Power Industry, ...of that i can assure you!!

Aggressive?? You'd soon know if i was being aggressive!!

Just for your information sport, Having experience in Domestic work will get you absolutly nowhere in the Power Industry, ...of that i can assure you!!
I'm going to find it difficult to form consecutive replys with your sinking attitude. So i'll leave it at that and thanks for the input.

We're talking parables, I know.....it's just that wilderness thing does tend to appeal to some...

.......................... I'm 35 this year .....................

I missed that earlier.
You're in for a tough ride trying to get a fresh graduate job at that age.
Employers are not interested, they want fresh faced 21 year olds.
Unless you've already got some decent Electrical experience in the bag.

I missed that earlier.
You're in for a tough ride trying to get a fresh graduate job at that age.
Unless you've already got some decent Electrical experience in the bag.
I'm aware this may be the case hence my initial query.

I used to recruit engineers for a living and while that may be true of some employers, there are many others who will value whatever life and professional experience you may have gained in your years 21 to 35.

Then more fool you!!:)

Possibly, but a happy fool earning decent money doing something where most days are basically fun and answerable to no-one but me - as opposed to a supposed non-fool doing what society tells me I ought to do, being miserable wearing a tie stuck at a desk/bench and at the whim of cretins. Pigeonholes are for post and pigeons.

Possibly, but a happy fool earning decent money doing something where most days are basically fun and answerable to no-one but me - as opposed to a supposed non-fool doing what society tells me I ought to do, being miserable wearing a tie stuck at a desk/bench and at the whim of cretins. Pigeonholes are for post and pigeons.

Well i can assure you although i usually have and work out of an office in some cases two offices, i have always been to all intent and purposes site based. I've rarely if ever been tied to a desk/bench, rarely wear a shirt and tie, i don't do cretins, and never considered myself being in a pigeonhole, and certainly never been what can be classed as miserable in my work, over the 40 odd years i've been in this game. In fact it's been quite the opposite!!

Oh, and i have always earned more than decent money, doing what i have always enjoyed doing, ...and seeing the world in the process. I've made good use of the many qualifications i obtained, they are in my opinion, the tools and passport to success in life. It's up to the individual how high or low that success can go....

Well i can assure you although i usually have and work out of an office in some cases two offices, i have always been to all intent and purposes site based. I've rarely if ever been tied to a desk/bench, rarely wear a shirt and tie, i don't do cretins, and never considered myself being in a pigeonhole, and certainly never been what can be classed as miserable in my work, over the 40 odd years i've been in this game. In fact it's been quite the opposite!!

Oh, and i have always earned more than decent money, doing what i have always enjoyed doing, ...and seeing the world in the process. I've made good use of the many qualifications i obtained, they are in my opinion, the tools and passport to success in life. It's up to the individual how high or low that success can go....
Then why have you got a chip on your shoulder?

My point is that the criteria for success in life should be determined by the individual based on what they genuinely want out of life, as opposed to mindlessly accepting the one-size-fits-all money-big-house-flash-car type definition of success in life that society wants to issue you with.

Read Matthew 25:14-30

Hard teaching ... and a valuable life lesson. Personally I was blessed with a 'brain' ... though I had to retake my entire 2nd year university exams at the back end of the summer, I passed with a 'desmond', 2:2. I went on to gain an MSc and could have gone on to do an EngD had I wanted to in a different branch of engineering from that of the OP. Notwithstanding all that I have not had such an enjoyable 'career' if you can call it that to date, I think because there was very little real 'engineering' to be done; apart from my first 2 jobs I was mostly an 'engineering' manager, more a director of people.

I was also given the hand skills and enjoyment of making things, taking things apart, repairing them and putting them back together. It is rare in most multinational engineering companies today that there exists the opportunity to get out on the shop floor and do the practical alongside the cerebral! I think that really great engineers are not 'made' at university! They used to be made through the practical application of theoretical science in the workshop and test laboratory! It is interesting to note that the largest percentage of my year of '92 from the University of Bristol did no further work in engineering!

Its just something id like to do. I'm hoping to land a gradate job soon enough but i love the hands on stuff too which i won't be involved in much if at all when i move into a grad position. I'm 35 this year so was a relatively late starter in the industry and just feel that it can't hurt to gain this extra knowledge. I've been thinking about contacting a few local companies to see if they'd be interested in helping me get this done?

What were you doing before you started at Uni?

Reply to Electrical Engineering Graduate in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net