Discuss Electrical hob 6kw how to connect in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone
Need help pls I have installed cooker circuit using 6mm twin earth with 45amp switch

The hob is 6kw
My question is what size flex do I use to connect from cooker outlet to hob
6mm is way too thick to connect to terminals and hard to close the cover

The paper work for the hob say
Use 3 core 2.5mm

Pls help 🙏

If the manufacturer's instructions say 2.5mm2, then that's what you should use. HO5RN-F is good for 25A, and 6kW at 230V is just over 26A, but that's before any diversity.
The problem with these imported things are that they are designed for three phase supplies, and converted to single phase for the UK market by including some links for the terminals. The three phase cable would be ore than adequate at 1.5mm2, so that's what the terminal box is designed for.

If the manufacturer's instructions say 2.5mm2, then that's what you should use. HO5RN-F is good for 25A, and 6kW at 230V is just over 26A, but that's before any diversity.
The problem with these imported things are that they are designed for three phase supplies, and converted to single phase for the UK market by including some links for the terminals. The three phase cable would be ore than adequate at 1.5mm2, so that's what the terminal box is designed for.
Thank you very much for your reply
Thank you for the reply 🙏

H07RN-F is typically rated to 60C which is often fine and good to work with.
BS6004 "Arctic" cable is 70C but usually reels of 50m or 100m.
3183B flex is similar 70C limit but sold by the meter (e.g. Superlec 3 CORE 2.5MM 3183B (H05ZIZI-F) ZERO HALOGEN FLEXIBLE CORD - https://www.superlecdirect.com/cables-and-accessories-c1/ho5z1z1f-318b-cable-s241000005/p-3183b2.5-superlec-3-core-25mm-3183b-h05zizif-zero-halogen-flexible-cord/)
6242B LSZH T&E is rated to 90C (which often surprised folks) so sometimes a choice for cookers where terminals get hot.
3183TQ is also rated at 90C but usually on reels as well, but bizarrely Screwfix sell 1m lengths! (Time 3183TQ White 3-Core 2.5mm² Flexible Cable 1m Coil - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/time-3183tq-white-3-core-2-5mm-flexible-cable-1m-coil/71940)

Reply to Electrical hob 6kw how to connect in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net