Discuss Electricity into the garage in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Paulonline

Hi All,

I have recently built a shed from concrete blocks. I would like the shed to have electric for a strip light and 2 or 3 double sockets for lawn mower/power tools.

I want to do this as safe and as cost effective as possible, so I propose to buy the bits I need over time and have it installed by a qualified electrician.

So what I wanted to know was what components I would need and a rough estimate on the price of an electrician to connect it all up.

From what I have read I have selected the following, please correct if wrong though.

6mm SWA from house CU to shed
From the non RCD side of the house CU install RCBO 32a
In the shed install (TL BS32/6- TLC web) RCD CU with 32a & 6a mcb
2.5mm t&e for sockets
1.5mm t&e for lights
Metclad sockets/light switch boxes
conduit for socket to CU wiring

The SWA is clipped to the wall and the run is roughly 23m
The earth in the house is TN-S

Think that covers it all
Cheers

^^^^ What he said, about £400 including testing and notifying building control if you supply all the bits^^^

Personally though if I was doing the job I'd tell you it was a waste of time getting all your own bits. I normally carry everything on the van to do that job apart from a couple of bits to pick up like the SWA cut to size. I mark up about 15% to cover me carrying everything in stock and charge per meter on cable when quoting. By the time you've messed around trying to get all the right stuff (which probably won't be 100% right anyway) and paid public prices for everything, bought 15m rolls of twin and earth from Wickes etc, it would be just as cheap to get whoever does the job to supply the parts for you, plus they'll have experience with what they're fitting and the brands they have chosen.

That's just my opinion anyway, whereabouts are you? Someone on here might be able to pop over and quote it properly for you?

Reply to Electricity into the garage in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net