Discuss Emergency Bulkhead Operation? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OttoF

-
Reaction score
Today I've been working with an old emergency bulkhead with 26W 2D 4 pin, and 6W florescent tube.

When I replaced the 2D bulb, only a faint light could be seen coming from it. I assumed because there had been some physical damage to the fitting, that a component inside was bad.

As I went to dismantle the unit (ready for replacement), I removed the starter module, and immediately the 2D bulb sprung into life. I put the starter back in, and the 2D bulb returned to almost lifeless. Took the starter out again, and on comes the 2D bulb.

Are these lights designed to not work if the starter is bad or if the florescent bulb is missing, or something else?

P.S. We don't need the emergency backup to work anymore, and I'm happy to leave as is. Just curious about why the 2D bulb works when the starter is removed.

Any clues on what was happening?

yeah .you had taken the starter out because its like a key stating a engine it call igniting the gas.
I will try that when bending over with a flame .

Sure, I know what a starter does, but 2D bulbs have an internal ballast. Yes?

The starter is for the florescent tube, but doesn't explain why suddenly the 2D bulb started working when I disconnected the starter.

So, any idea?

Sure, I know what a starter does, but 2D bulbs have an internal ballast. Yes?

?

No 2D bulbs don't have an internal ballast, you usually see them with high frequency ballasts these days but the traditional ballast and starter approach used to be common.
The starter will almost certainly be for the 2D lamp, the emergency side would normally use an electronic ballast as the battery wouldn't be able to start the tube via a starter

No 2D bulbs don't have an internal ballast, you usually see them with high frequency ballasts these days but the traditional ballast and starter approach used to be common.
The starter will almost certainly be for the 2D lamp, the emergency side would normally use an electronic ballast as the battery wouldn't be able to start the tube via a starter

Okay... but logically this doesn't make sense to what I'm looking at, which is no starter and working 2D lamp.

I'll upload a pic to show you. The circular hole is where I removed the starter from. Clearly, the 2D bulb is lit.

Explanation?

IMG_20181114_151113.jpg

Okay... but logically this doesn't make sense to what I'm looking at, which is no starter and working 2D lamp.

I'll upload a pic to show you. The circular hole is where I removed the starter from. Clearly, the 2D bulb is lit.

Explanation?
]

It is normal for a lamp to illuminate when a dead starter is removed as starters basically work by breaking a circuit.

The other fitting which it appears to work in will probably have a much newer lamp in it, or be a lot warmer because it had been on fir a while.

Just put a new lamp and starter in and see if it works.

I'm worried we're in danger of getting a little off topic.

Fact list...

• The 2D bulb is good.
  • The starter is good.
  • The supply is good.
  • 4 pin 2D bulbs require an external ballast.
  • This 4 pin 2D bulb works without a "cork sized" starter.
  • The 6W florescent lamp is missing.

The back of the unit appears to contain a rectangular shaped ballast. Sorry, don't have a pic of it, but you can Google "4 pin 2D emergency bulkhead" for an exposed image of this inside of one of these.

From a design feature perspective, if the florescent tube is missing, perhaps the 2D bulb is supposed to NOT work, if a starter exists?

Logically, this would make senses (to me at least), as it gives a clear indication that maintenance is required at that fitting, i.e. a new florescent tube.

However, that's just a guess. So, my question is: unless the mains supply is deliberately cut, how is the emergency backup tested (without equipment)?

Reply to Emergency Bulkhead Operation? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net