Discuss EV chargers turned off at peak times in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I guess if it changes the suppliers will have the flexibility to make adjustments with the smart meters

Its definitely news to me this idea of fixing the timing for domestic EVs

I thought the smart metering and multiple tariffs etc would be doing the job of smoothing out the demand curve(correct terminology there ?)

Can be over-ridden... Also people will start disconnecting the chargers from the internet so they cannot be turned off... Good idea in principle but worrying that this sort of thing is starting so soon when only a small percentage of people have gone EV...

Can be over-ridden... Also people will start disconnecting the chargers from the internet so they cannot be turned off... Good idea in principle but worrying that this sort of thing is starting so soon when only a small percentage of people have gone EV...

Surely it's better that it is being thought about now, while numbers are still low.

I guess if it changes the suppliers will have the flexibility to make adjustments with the smart meters

Its definitely news to me this idea of fixing the timing for domestic EVs

I thought the smart metering and multiple tariffs etc would be doing the job of smoothing out the demand curve(correct terminology there ?)
The point I was trying to make is that there will be no off peak cheap electricity in the future as electricity use will become more of a load balancing exercise for electricity suppliers

So what happens if no internet means no charge output

I wonder if Tesla thought about this, hence making their EVCP's dumb.

I thought the smart metering and multiple tariffs etc would be doing the job of smoothing out the demand curve
The problem with this approach is that electricity is still very cheap during peak periods (relatively speaking) compared with the amount of money people have.

It works great for people like me who have made it almost a 'hobby' of reducing the amount and cost of electricity that we use... but I fear that for the majority of the general public, saving £1 a day won't make the slightest difference... even if they know what it's costing them.

We need to make the price differential far greater... but then of course there'll be uproar in the media ! The BBC and Ch4 will make a series of documentaries about how 'unfair' it is, riots similar to the poll tax ones etc. etc....

I believe they mean at peak consumption times, rather than an

it just means come the adverts during Britain’s got talent, when everyone turns on their kettles, the chargers will get a little signal to say stop, just for a while.

Smart meters give the supply companies a “real time” pattern of usage for the country

Lets fact it, if the choice is replacing/upgrading most of the underground cables, substations and generation capacity, or load-balancing EV chargers that typically are on overnight at home, or for long periods at work, which is going to be affordable for the country?

The CT clamp style to limit home demand to the 60A fuse is a start, but it has to be linked up to keep the grid capacity within bounds one more than a trivial number are in use.

I think the diversity allowance per household is in the 3-5kW region but maybe someone with better knowledge has a recent figure?

I believe they mean at peak consumption times, rather than an

it just means come the adverts during Britain’s got talent, when everyone turns on their kettles, the chargers will get a little signal to say stop, just for a while.

Smart meters give the supply companies a “real time” pattern of usage for the country
problem solved. open a beer rather than putting the kettle on.

Seems to be a preset setting that can be overridden as was pointed out

Presume then it will be a part of the strategy with the smart tariffs to load balance as also pointed out previously

There’s also going to be the option of selling back the charge in the car battery back into the grid.
Fine for people that charge all night, then only drive 3 miles to a shop every couple of days.

just entered a comp, to win a Tesla leccy car. let you know how it goes. bet I'm not a winner, but thousands of sites now have my email to bombard me with junk.

Reply to EV chargers turned off at peak times in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net